Big perch question?

steve2

Reaction score
Judging by the size of some of the Perch I have caught the perch does have a big mouth and big appetite to match. In some cases the lures I use are bigger than the perch I catch.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Just musing on this bigger perch thing.
There was a thread recently about bigger pike getting thin on the ground.
Pike have certainly taken a hammering by being taken for food in some areas as we all know.

Are the perch filling a gap in the food chain where pike are diminished?
There are large perch in some commies where pike are absent.

Are there waters where pike are numerous and there are also big perch?

I can't think of any near me offhand.
John

If you look towards the Big Reservoirs where the Big Pike are coming out, they also produce Big Zander and Perch

I presume there mush be plenty of food in the reservoirs for this too happen, not only the Trout that are stocked but also the Coarse fish that prosper in that environment.

Bob

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Just musing on this bigger perch thing.
There was a thread recently about bigger pike getting thin on the ground.
Pike have certainly taken a hammering by being taken for food in some areas as we all know.

Are the perch filling a gap in the food chain where pike are diminished?
There are large perch in some commies where pike are absent.

Are there waters where pike are numerous and there are also big perch?

I can't think of any near me offhand.

This is absolutely the case,

On one of me local rivers IE the Medway in Kent in the past there have been the odd 30lb pike but still throws up 20lber's at times as my PB is at 25lb 8oz from this river,
The river also holds some very large perch aswell throughout its entire length upto a weight of over 4lb,

So yes mate there are such waters that do exist where mixed species of predators do both go to specimen sizes :thumbs:

john step

Reaction score
John

If you look towards the Big Reservoirs where the Big Pike are coming out, they also produce Big Zander and Perch

Bob

Thats very good to know

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

This is absolutely the case,

The river also holds some very large perch aswell throughout its entire length upto a weight of over 4lb,

So yes mate there are such waters that do exist where mixed species of predators do both go to specimen sizes :thumbs:

Also very good to know.