Lures for perch fishing....(and spinners?)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about lure fishing, but with a number of posts running that concentrate on big perch and reading of some who use lures for the catching of them ( see Flighliners post in HDYGO thread which mentions S lures for example, and Neil's exploits with them in the past) I'm wondering if those that use them on regular basis could come up with a list of recommendations for the beginner to cut his teeth on??

Obviously hundreds of them on offer and all doing a different job, but let's just say we need a list of (say) a dozen or so to kick off with that might offer the best chance of success, sort of ' proven' to worked well over the years.............

I have rods/reels etc so just lures, or even spinners would be helpful and it would make a change to roam a bit during the coming week/months.

Thanks

robertroach

Reaction score
I have more confidence in Mepps, or Mepps imitation spinners than any other lure for perch and pike so I tend to use them more than anything else. They are a favourite for salmon and bass as well. They do seem to attract surprisingly small fish, however, so not very selective.

There are hundreds of other possibilities that also work. If you have ever been in a tackle shop or even a Walmart in the States you will be amazed at how many there are, it's almost bewildering. I keep meaning to have a go at dropshotting with a plastic worm imitation for perch but haven't got around to it yet. Has anyone tried this?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
The Ondex spinner was for many the go to lure when it came to Perch, many swore by it. But in recent years it has seemingly fallen out of favour, being replaced by the smaller soft plastic lures of which there are currently dozens available.

Another option would be the smaller Alphabet lures exemplified by the ever popular ''Big S''. All of the above are tried and tested, but I personally would encourage you to purchase a couple of small Spinnerbaits in the 1oz range. These can be deadly effective on the day, and so easy to use. They are so versatile, it truly is an amazing lure in almost all situations.

But don't take my word for it, try one and see for yourself.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Relax Kopyto Shads are absolute killers for perch, I prefer the 5 cm size in yellow but they're cheap enough to buy in several colours. You'll need a selection of jig heads in various weights.

Small spinners are brillant too, mepps make a special perch spinner with two small blades that is excellent.

steve2

Reaction score
Took some nice perch last week on 7" soft grub lures also took some on a 6" pike plug. Greedy things some days.