Pike deadbaiting rods.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have dabbled with dead-baiting for Pike in the distant past but never took it up really seriously. I have had quite a few small pike over the years on stationary deadbaits and wobbled deadbaits including a couple of doubles (my PB was a little over 18lb caught way back in 1978 on a home made Jim Gibbinson Clooper Carp rod) but I intend to try fishing for them a little more seriously this winter.

I know how to safely unhook them and handle them safely without causing them or me any damage, however what I need to know is what rods the pike anglers on FM would recommend and what properties to look out for if I wanted go out and buy a pair of dedicated Pike rods for deadbaiting.

In the past I have always just used Carp rods but wanted to know what advantages I would get if I were to use a pair of dedicated Pike rods (Christmas is just around the corner Lol).

Keith

Last edited:
B

binka

If the Fox Rage deadbait rods are anything like their predecessor Warrior range they'll be well worth a look Keith.

I've got a pair of 2.75lb Warriors which have been great, faultless in fact and I think your target price on the Rage would be around £65 - £70 a rod.

Generally speaking the tips are softer than a carp rod and far more forgiving for casting deads without tearing the hooks out and with more of a through action.

I've heard people say that the Warriors weren't a through action but that's rubbish they just weren't bending 'em enough, if you don't believe me ask Crow about when I got my bait dropper stuck in a snag! :eek:mg:

thecrow

Reaction score
As always Keith it depends on what kind of piking you intend doing, bait size, water size whether you need to fish at distance all the usual things.

I had some drennan pikeflex (until they disappeared and then appeared at my lads place :) ) that I found very good, handled biggish baits ok and distance was not a problem with them, not just a poker stiff casting tool though, worth a look.

Keith M

Reaction score
As always Keith it depends on what kind of piking you intend doing, bait size, water size whether you need to fish at distance all the usual things.

I'm going to concentrate on a local well established group of gravel pits and casting between 30 metres up to around 50 metres max will reach most of the bars, gullies, deep holes and islands on them and I want a rod suitable for deadbaiting either stationary on the bottom or drifted under a float.

Baits will probably be half mackeral, whole Herring, sections of Lamprey or whatever I can find suitable on the local fish slabs.
I may even use the very occasional livebait presented under a float or using a paternoster under a sunken float if the pike are not picking up deadbaits.

Keith

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Because of the waters I fish I use 10’ compact carp rods and 10’ 6” Greys boat rods. This is because of overhanging trees make longer rods difficult to cast. Did use Fox warrior 12’ 2-75lb carp rods for a while but they just didn’t suit my fishing I found them top heavy. Now sit unused in the shed.

keora

Reaction score
Deadbait rods for pike was discussed here a couple of years ago:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/predator-fishing/352542-good-deadbait-pike-rods.html

I'm using a 10ft Drennan Pikeflex rod. It's a bit shorter than most pike rods, but since I only fish medium size rivers, it's fine.

Drennan International

I've used carp rods in the past, although sometimes the test curves are excessive, and I don't like those corkless handles. But in many cases I think most carp rods are OK for pike.

It's worth using 30 or 40 lb braid when pike fishing, rather than mono.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
I'm going to concentrate on a local well established group of gravel pits and casting between 30 metres up to around 50 metres max will reach most of the bars, gullies, deep holes and islands on them and I want a rod suitable for deadbaiting either stationary on the bottom or drifted under a float.

Baits will probably be half mackeral, whole Herring, sections of Lamprey or whatever I can find suitable on the local fish slabs.
I may even use the very occasional livebait presented under a float or using a paternoster under a sunken float if the pike are not picking up deadbaits.

Keith

If 50 metres is the maximum you will be fishing at the pikeflex at 3-25 lbs tc may be a little on the heavy side but would give you the choice of fishing further or using it on other waters.

Keith M

Reaction score
I might just use my Greys 2.75lb and 3lb Carp rods at first and see how it goes.

I might be a lot better off spending my Xmas money on some good warm clothing instead.

Thanks guys

Keith

rubio

Reaction score
In truth the majority of my pike fishing is done with an 8ft telescopic that is easily included in my roach gear. It comes out when I start getting attacks as I'm reeling in the small stuff. Often they take quite quickly having been fired up already and I'm back into doing what I wanted in the first place.
For those bigger deadbaits I do have a couple of 3lbs TC rods that can hurl a heavy lump quite a way. My favourite 'proper' pike rod is a cheapish and old carp rod that is a softish 2lbs TC that hoops over brilliantly. Like others I don't enjoy the sensation of holding on to a decent pike on a stiff casting weapon.

john step

Reaction score
When looking for a couple of deadbait rods a year or three ago, 12 footers were on the shopping list. I had previously been using old 10 foot rods but was finding the bankside rushes and brambles were getting more and more tangles and I often needed to reach over stuff.

I looked at many carp and pike rods and settled on a couple of Shimano 12 foot Alivio 3lb tc rods with MARKER on them. Presumably sold as marker rods.

However they have enough punch to deliver whole deadbaits but soft in the tip not to cast them off.

They bend right through top two thirds when a pike should be silly enough to let me catch it.

3lb tc always seems a tad bruteish but they perform a treat.

terry m

Reaction score
Distance to be fished is the decider for me.

Long range on pits then my Century NG 3lb TCs will heave a bait out to 70m or maybe a little more.

On rivers or close in I use the Greys 2.25lb TC Prowla Platinum deadbait rods. They are the most delightful rods, tons of power, but they have a wonderful through action and take on a very satisfying curve when fighting fish.

Whatever you choose look for through action and avoid tippy rods.

B

binka

Distance to be fished is the decider for me.

Long range on pits then my Century NG 3lb TCs will heave a bait out to 70m or maybe a little more.

On rivers or close in I use the Greys 2.25lb TC Prowla Platinum deadbait rods. They are the most delightful rods, tons of power, but they have a wonderful through action and take on a very satisfying curve when fighting fish.

Whatever you choose look for through action and avoid tippy rods.

I thought about you Terry when the initial question was asked as I too was thinking about the 2.25lb Greys rods but never got around to buying a pair.

Pleased they came good for you though and agree completely about the through action :)

terry m

Reaction score
I thought about you Terry when the initial question was asked as I too was thinking about the 2.25lb Greys rods but never got around to buying a pair.

Pleased they came good for you though and agree completely about the through action :)

Hi Binka

Last year they banked 5 twentys (one recapture :eek:) from the rivers, plus many mid/upper doubles. They are a joy to use.

(They even look good sat in the rests when I am blanking :()

paulas

Reaction score
dave lumb 2.75lb P1,s for general piking and BB350 3.5lb for chucking deadbaits a long way. Not cheap but very nice to fish with and good build quality :)

B

binka

dave lumb 2.75lb P1,s for general piking and BB350 3.5lb for chucking deadbaits a long way. Not cheap but very nice to fish with and good build quality :)

I very nearly ordered a pair of P1's around three years ago but I had a lot going on at the time and they were out of my price range.

In fairness the Fox have served me well especially considering the price (I got a pair for less than half the price of a single P1) and I expect them to continue to although I doubt they are anything approaching Dave Lumb's offerings.

I would dearly like a pair of Z1's though and haven't ruled out the possibility :)

paulas

Reaction score
they sometimes come up 2nd hand on pikers pit forum. You have to be quick though. An X1 came up last week but only lasted a few hours before it had gone. Had the Fox deadbait elites before that and they were sound. They took a lot of abuse due to the rocky banks on the reservoirs. Still got a 3.25lb one that I use if 4 rods are allowed.

paulas

Reaction score
couple of dave lumb P1's for sale on the pikers pit forum if anyone is interested. Hurry up they will go quick !!