long range piking ????

smudger172

Reaction score
After watching the monster carp program and the long range they were fishing at, 500 yards plus it got me thinking how safe is it. I am confident piking with a vane at 200 yards and have done many times with good results but fishing a bait on the bottom at that distance does not sit well with me.

has anybody fished for pike at that distance...

thecrow

Reaction score
I watched that episode and thought they were fishing in a catch at all costs way, 500yds is a ridiculous distance to be fishing for anything as was their jumping into a boat to get out to net the fish leaving all other rods in the care? of one other angler.

To fish at long range for pike unless drifting would for me involve no more than around 80 yards and even then the line at the rod end would have to receive a lot of attention from the angler.

terry m

Reaction score
Pike fishing at 500 yards seems somewhat irresponsible. Even with braid, good reliable bite indication at that range would be very difficult to achieve consistently in all but the stillest of days.

Why not just get in a boat?

Steve Appleford

Reaction score
Dragging in Pike from that distance esp big girls aint gonna help there lifespan imo,vunerable enough to miss handling on bank without that in the first place

reeltime

Reaction score
Not acceptable to me , even if not deeply hooked pike are fragile fish