Best method for catching large perch...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I like to keep it simple. A float and worm approach in the traditional manner.
I think of perch as soon as Autumn arrives but others differ...
Isaak Walton wrote in his book of 1653 " a bold biting fish, yet he will not bite all seasons of the year; he is very abstemious in winter, yet will bite then in the midst of day, if it be warm: and note, that all fish bite best about the midst of a warm day in winter, and he has been observed by some not usually to bite till the mulberry tree buds, that is to say, till extreme frosts be past the spring, for when the mulberry-tree blossoms many gardeners observe their forward fruit to be past the danger of frosts, and some have made the like observation of the pearch's (sic) biting...

What do you think is the best method and what time of year?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I tend to start chasing them on one of the local rivers about now. I'll go and fish for the dace with maggots knowing that them going quiet is likely to mean a few big perch have turned up.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Summer is best for pretty much all species imo. I've found one of the best baits for perch is live bait, if i'm honest I don't like doing it but if i'm out trotting and I catch a small dace etc and I know there are perch mooching i'll re-hook the dace so my hook just goes under it's skin (in it's lip) so when I strike out of it into the perch it may have a chance of survival.
Spinning is another good way of catching some decent perch. Saying that my best perch have usually come to bunches of maggots and worms when I haven't really been targeting them.

I forgot to say, I think the summer months are the best time to target perch. I think that's the same for most species in the uk.

Last edited:
B

binka

I would say that traditionally Autumn would be the most likely best time yet I have always had my best runs and biggest fish in Spring although that is partly down to nailing their location in large numbers before they disperse, post-spawning.

If that seems a tad unsporting I can tell you that they are in absolute peak condition and as good as, if not better, than the rest of the year despite their recent frolics.

That aside I think there are three factors, location being the obvious one followed by their feeding times during colder weather and finally but just as importantly the bait itself.

I have had livebaits ignored whilst a few feet away I've caught fish of 3lbs+ on single maggot purely because they have become preoccupied with the constant rain of feed and which perch just love to intercept.

As always though my absolute favourite would be the biggest lobworm I can get on a hook, preferably under a suitably large bobber.

Whether it is the best method or not I don't know, I suspect the answer to that is as variable and subjective as the waters are themselves.

barbelboi

Reaction score
A decent size livebait (2 - 3oz) so you have less chance of catching a small perch...............

Philip

Reaction score
Livebait for me. I ran into Steve Burke on a small Kent water some years back and he was using very large (for me) baits...4-6oz type of size and he was convinced it helped sort out the better fish..it should be noted that on the water in question there were no Pike...

Time of year I am not so fussed about, I think you have a chance in any month of the year. I am more fussed about the time of day and whilst they will come at any time I think last knockings as the light fades or early as dawn breaks are the best times.

rich4930

Reaction score
Perch are predatory fish, so to me it seems logical to focus on that, if I'm explicitly targeting large perch. I used to use the classic minnow livebait, but being illegal over here, by process of elimination in comes down to lure fishing; spinner, jig or drop-shot.

Like most predator fish Perch feed all year long, but I find they're easier to locate in summer. Unfortunately for me, I'm normally preoccupied with tench and carp in summer, to have much time for perch. On the other hand, it's easier to get a quick couple of hours spinning in after work, than lugging my carp gear to the water, so that's usually when my perch fishing happens (summer/autumn after work).

terry m

Reaction score
Livebaits are effective, but for me a Mepps No5 spinner (the largest) allows roving approach and makes it easier to quickly test different depths.

It will still pick up the smaller fish, but that's OK with me too.

dicky123

Reaction score
PETER.

To answer your question.

If I look on YouTube it seems lures take there fair share. Lots of 3lb fish and bigger. I'm after a big one this season, and know a few spots to try.

Did go today, first time in 5 weeks, blank:eek:

****y.

reeltime

Reaction score
Livebait at dawn and dusk for me, an hour then worth the rest of the day put together

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Livebait at dawn and dusk for me, an hour then worth the rest of the day put together

And that's what all the books say, however my four 3lb plus came during outside those hours during the middle of the day, two in quite strong sunshine.

barbelboi

Reaction score
And that's what all the books say, however my four 3lb plus came during outside those hours during the middle of the day, two in quite strong sunshine.

I wouldn't dream of fishing any other time.................:)

wardalan1987

Reaction score
I tend to find 3 inch fish imitation lures either on the dropshot or ball jighead for reasonable sized perch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Livebait, lip hooked and not big, followed by Lobworms, any time of day, but better in dull conditions !!

Bob

B

binka

Livebait, lip hooked and not big, followed by Lobworms, any time of day, but better in dull conditions !!

Bob

Good to see you around Bob, I was only thinking the other day that we'd not heard from you in a while :thumbs:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Some variations on fishing livebaits, which I have had some success are:

1. Tie a small barbed hook to a length of line, I use 5lb fluoro. Tie this to a larger hook via a knotless knot. This gives a a very good hook up as the hook isn't masked by the bait. I use two barbed hooks if rules allow or a barbed hook for the bait.

2. Another excellent method is to use a small bait band on the hair and attach the bait fish by piercing the lip of the fish with a baiting needle, stretching the band and pulling it through the lip/mouth of the fish. If you want to remove the bait you reverse the procedure. The fish stays on remarkably well and it can be used where there is strictly applied barbless only rules.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

puffer_

Reaction score
My stretch of the T&M canal is fairly well known for big perch, and a lot of people seem well into their drop-shotting these days, but I'm yet to master that one!

I had a nice stripey yesterday, just under 2lbs. I caught him (and many other, smallers ones) on a ledgered bundle of worms. Seemed to do the trick nicely.

I reckon it was about 2pm. Canal was fairly cloudy by then, as there had been plenty of boats come past me.

john step

Reaction score
Last time out for perch at a different lake that contains no pike I had one of those Whoa/blooming heck moments. I reeled in a small deadbait quite quickly to pack up and there was a large swirl just as I lifted the bait from the water.

Now I know there are no pike in there but had there been so I would have put it down to pike.

Needless to say I will return.....when this dreaded decorating is finished.

Philip

Reaction score
Last time out for perch at a different lake that contains no pike I had one of those Whoa/blooming heck moments. I reeled in a small deadbait quite quickly to pack up and there was a large swirl just as I lifted the bait from the water.

Now I know there are no pike in there but had there been so I would have put it down to pike.

Needless to say I will return.....when this dreaded decorating is finished.

Thats reminds me of an experience I had on a small South East lake that had no Pike whilst fishing for Perch with livebaits. I got a take and struck, felt resistance for a few seconds than it came off and the bait flew back out of the water at me. It was literally perfectly cut in half. Tail end was gone and I just got the head end back. I could not have cut it cleaner with a knife.

I spoke to the owner who absolutly insisted there were no Pike in there (and I never saw or caught one dispite using live baits allot).

Best guess I had was it may have been an Eel.