Braid mainline for pike.

mickb

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Before I start I just want to say I'm new to pike fishing. For the last couple of months I've just been fishing canals for them and have caught a few jack pike. Nothing big. Its almost october so im about to hit the lodges. Ive done quite a lot of reading and also watched dvds. It seems that most pike anglers swear by braid these days. I see all the advantages. No stretch so hooks are easier to set at distance (pike have very bony mouths), low diameter for breaking strain (longer casts. Deadbaits aren't exactly aerodynamic), cuts through weed like a knife etc etc. By what I've read as well power pro keeps coming up time and time again. I've looked on eBay and for 275m of the stuff it's a whopping £29.99. That's £60 quid to fill up two spools. I know the stuff is best on the market but is there a cheaper brand that is any good? There a lots of cheaper ones on ebay. I've tried a lot of mono lines and to be honest I find the cheaper ones such as daiwa sensor, big game, sufix tritanium just as good as the expensive ones. Is there a cheap braid that's just as good as more pricey brands?

thecrow

Reaction score
Never used anything other than Power Pro, so cant help with other makes but it lasts and lasts so can work out quiet reasonable really after the initial layout.

smudger172

Reaction score
i have used braid for the last 20 years or so and can not see why you would not use the best available. £60 for two spools will last 4-5 years then reverse the braid on the spool possible 10 years for £30.. you do the maths.. change nylon every year or braid every 10... ask yourself how much money is sat on the bank rods, reels, alarms etc £60 does not seem that much for ten years.. only my opinion...

mickb

Reaction score
When you put it like that it doesn't seem so bad. Why is power pro so much better than other braids though?

B

binka

When you put it like that it doesn't seem so bad. Why is power pro so much better than other braids though?

It's a belt and braces, assured quality work horse.

I've thrown money away on expensive braids in the past, a surprising dud being Daiwa's Hyper PE and returned to Power Pro.

Does what it says on the tin, no frills, no spills.

smudger172

Reaction score

personaly i use berkley whiplash pro.. but only my choice.....

Last edited:

mickb

Reaction score
Are we looking at a breaking strain of about 30lb when it comes to braid and pike?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like power pro but use fireline on my deadbait reels.

mickb

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am new to pike fishing and braided mainlines. Maybe a silly question but when would I know to reverse the braid on my spool? Is it a case of when it's been damaged or the colour is coming out of it?

puffer_

Reaction score
With heavier braid I tend to cheap out a bit and it's never failed me. I got a 1000 yard spool of 30lb braid made by KastingKing from Amazon and it's been great for piking. Solid as a rock. Almost certainly doesn't have the characteristics of expensive stuff, but it's a good workhorse for the pike and has never failed me or misbehaved.

For lighter braid I spend more money as I'm using it for fish that are often more finicky than pike.

Another Dave

Reaction score
With heavier braid I tend to cheap out a bit and it's never failed me. I got a 1000 yard spool of 30lb braid made by KastingKing from Amazon and it's been great for piking. Solid as a rock. Almost certainly doesn't have the characteristics of expensive stuff, but it's a good workhorse for the pike and has never failed me or misbehaved.

For lighter braid I spend more money as I'm using it for fish that are often more finicky than pike.

I got the 6lb Kastking because it was the cheapest, the only problem i have with it is that it gets tight on the spool if i snag up. Which makes the next cast all wafty.

Are you guys saying the posh stuff doesn't do that?

naxian62

Reaction score
I tried the cheap an nasty ebay **** when I switched over to braid four years ago. Dont waste your cash! Now on my Power Pro 40lb for the fourth season. Just yesterday reversed it ready for next week. If it goes for another couple of seasons, well, happy days.
Not sure, but maybe storing it in a dark place through the summer when you're not using it helps.

thecrow

Reaction score
I am through circumstances someone that if possible avoids spending on top of the range things but 2 things I wouldn't scrimp on are reel line/braid and hooks they are the only things that keep an angler in contact with a fish it doesn't matter what rod its on or the reel being used so why compromise?

smudger172

Reaction score
one important piece of advice.. always put 20 yards of nylon line on the spool first before the braid. it will stop the braid potentially spinning on the spool..

Mark Salt

Reaction score
I use 50lb Powerpro for all predators. Lasts forever and therefore cheap as chips!

steve2

Reaction score
I have been using braid from Decathlon stores for the past 2 years never had a problem. It's branded by them so have no idea who supplies it to them.

terry m

Reaction score
Checkout Drennan Piker Braid, it is very good and I have used it for a couple of years on deadbait rods.

Be careful about going too light. Personally would recommend 40-50lb bs. Partly because of shock impact when striking, and partly because of risk of horrific finger cuts when (and you will) screw up on the cast.

steve2

Reaction score
If you have never used braid and being on the safety side with braid never ever pull for a break with bare hands always wear a glove.