Pike snap tackle

chipbuttee

Reaction score
I have never made my own snap tackles up for pike deadbaiting and have seen a number of tools and accessories on offer, so what to start out with? recommendations and advice please.

john step

Reaction score
If you buy the sort of trace wire that you twist the only tool you need is a pair of forceps that most anglers carry anyway.

There are bound to be videos on youtube.

I don't bother with all that anymore. I have mentioned this before on FM. Just have a look at a couple of videos on the said tube under the heading of Canelle
Wondertress.

You can Knot it!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just watched the videos, I don't pike fish but feel the need to buy some Wondertress! excellent videos.:thumbs:

Dennis Martin

Reaction score
Just watched the videos, I don't pike fish but feel the need to buy some Wondertress! excellent videos.:thumbs:

I bought some wondertress. I personally wouldn't use it for pike, call me old fashioned if you like, but it doesn't feel/look the part, I won't risk leaving hooks in one of my favourite fish.

john step

Reaction score
I bought some wondertress. I personally wouldn't use it for pike, call me old fashioned if you like, but it doesn't feel/look the part, I won't risk leaving hooks in one of my favourite fish.

Its made for pike and zander. Yes it feels soft. Thats the point of it. I started using it last winter and bought some more for this year.
Upon inspecting last winters made up lengths they are perfectly good and have used them this autumn.
Wondertress is not cheap to buy but it outlasts conventional wire by a multiplication of times. Actually it does contain some wire woven into the braid.

steve2

Reaction score
Try your local Decathlon store if there is one near you. That where I buy mine also buy my braid there. Seeing you are from Essex they are at Lakeside, Chelmsford and Harlow.

john step

Reaction score
Where do you buy it from?

Sorry for delay in replying........been piking:)

pecheur.com which is a Decathlon owned web site in France.
As I said cheap it aint.
I did look in Decathlon in Nottingham but couldn't see it.

You only get two and a half metres on a spool and the postage from France is a bit steep so I bought a double lot.(12 kg bs)
Betime I knot it I reckon to get 4 traces per spool.

That does sound very expensive but I think it works out to £2.50 to £3 a trace but it does last many time longer than wire as it does not kink up.

I copy the method I saw on youtube whereby you put a loop at each end and thats it! It enables you to carry the traces loose and by poking the loop through the hook/swivel eye you can change hooks at will using the same trace.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What method do you use to secure the trace to your mainline, loop to loop or a swivel?

john step

Reaction score
What method do you use to secure the trace to your mainline, loop to loop or a swivel?

Swivel and a split swivel. See end of my diatribe below.

There is a loop at BOTH ends of the trace which is stored "naked" of hooks and swivels.
I secure one end with a swivel by pushing the loop through the swivel eye and passing back over the swivel.

If using two trebles the loop at the other end is pushed through the eye and it is slid up the trace.
2nd treble is fixed the same as the swivel.

The upper treble can be secured at the desired place by wrapping the trace round the shank about 3 or 4 times.( I will not terminally kink like a lot of wire)

Should you wish to use a single hook, J or circle, just take the hooks out of the loop and attach the new hook in the same way,through the eye and back over itself.

I actually tie a split swivel on the end of my main line and attach this to the trace swivel.

This enables me to unclip the trace and take the pike to the unhooking mat without dragging the rod there as well as many of the places the undergrowth tries to trip me up and conspire to get my big boots entangled in the trailing line:eek:

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Just wondering John with it being soft do you get any problems with tangling?

No as I feather it and find it OK. I wouldn't like to say about lure fishing with the continual casting though.

I think the old stuff with the plastic coating would be better for that. (Fladon) as I guess the pike attack from behind mostly and it wouldn't matter. Lure fishers may have a better thought on that point though.

I think the main advantage is for bait fishing a static making there less metallic taste/feel in the pikes gob. Only my take on it but its confidence that counts a lot of time.

The thinner 8Kg spool might be ideal perch fishing where there is a good chance of a stray pike?

steve2

Reaction score
Virtually all my lure fishing is now done using single strand titanium wire traces or solid stainless steel traces. Wouldn’t trust Wondertess to stand up to continuous casting. With lure fishing I cast far more in a day than I do in a years deadbaiting.