After a Pike Attack

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've continued to lure fish for pike and I've had one, which I was so pleased with, such a buzz! Since, however, I've had a few pike attack my lures and then there was no action afterwards. Is it common for a pike to attack then leave the lure alone afterwards? I've tried switching up lures but still nothing after the first attack!? It's really quite frustrating.

Jack

steve2

Reaction score
Yes it is common best thing give it break and change swims. Lure fishing can be frustrating but also exciting.

terry m

Reaction score
In my experience always worth a couple of chucks after a hit, especially if the fish was not pricked by the hook.

JackGE

Reaction score
Yeah, I have been giving it a few more throws then moving swims. Also seen on TAFishing that if you get a bite, just cast it elsewhere a couple of times and then move back to where you got the bite so they aren't as suspicious. Got all weekend to fish this week so will try. Also going to try some sprat twitching.

Thanks for the responses!

greenie62

Reaction score
... Also going to try some sprat twitching.

IIRC - Alan Tyler mentioned - last week - that he sometimes uses a spinner to attract pike into his dead-baited swim - so the sprat might be an ideal follow-up to the 'missed' attack!
Tight Lines!

thecrow

Reaction score
Its possible that the fish that are following your lure/bait are not really hungry but follow it through instinct alone, similar to a fox amongst hens that will kill far to many to satisfy its hunger or carry away for later, its instinct.

greenie62

Reaction score
Its possible that the fish that are following your lure/bait are not really hungry but follow it through instinct alone, similar to a fox amongst hens that will kill far to many to satisfy its hunger or carry away for later, its instinct.

Is that a bit like the ATr following the money into the EA Graham? :eek::D Sorry - thought stream carried-over from adjoining post! :D:eek:mg:

JackGE

Reaction score
Another full day fishing on the canal and no pike. One came up for my spinner bait which I lost to a snag later :mad:). Bear sunset I have a couple of large perch attach but didn't hook. Starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Haven't had a pike since my first one. Been switching up my lures from soft to plugs and spinner baits.

theartist

Reaction score
That's pike fishing for you Jack you win some you lose some, then you lose more often than you win, it's like that.

No pun intended but you just gotta plug away sometimes, the more you fish the luckier you'll get

David Gane

Reaction score
From time to time pike will have a second or even a third go at a lure. Mostly though they won't, especially if they have felt the hook the first time. Occasionally though I've caught pike on a lure, put them back and promptly caught them again. I guess it depends how hungry they are.

My philosophy though is to give them three more chances once they've had a go at a lure. After that I move on.