Missed Runs

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I've been getting a lot of very fast runs on ledgered sprat, on the last few outings on a new water, which I've not managed to hit.

Those runs I have connected with have resulted in pike of 8-11lb and these have invariably been comparatively much slower. The fast runs literally involve the bobbin slamming up to the rod in one go and line streaming off the reel.

Is it reasonable to assume these fast runs are from very small pike?

I always strike runs on small deadbaits as early as I can, by the way, and have never so far had any problems with deep-hooked fish.

B

binka

Any chub in this water?

It's a very typical type of chub take on a deadbait...

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Any chub in this water?

It's a very typical type of chub take on a deadbait...

Not to my knowledge, but there are a few in another pool close by, so you never know...

The main stock in the pool I'm fishing is carp, bream, pike and eels. I've heard of carp taking whitebait and eels taking a fancy to sea deads, but maybe a bit late in the year for those?

B

binka

It could be eels, if there are chub in a nearby pool despite none being known of in yours then my money would still be on a chub.

We used to laugh it off when piking on the river with whole sardines and something would blitz the bait runner, almost spinning the rod around as it went, for a second or two as it just looked so bizarre and over time we caught a handful of them which held on for long enough, they were all chub.

I think Peter Stone was also a big sardine fan when it came to big chub, I'm not sure if he took his then record on one but I seem to think so.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
If I eventually manage to hook one of these screamers, I'll post the culprit's name on here!

thecrow

Reaction score
Chub would be my bet, have you tried bolt rigging a bait to see what happens with one of these fast runs? or even using a half bait bolt rigged.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think Peter Stone was also a big sardine fan when it came to big chub, I'm not sure if he took his then record on one but I seem to think so.

I think you're right, Steve. As I recall Stoney caught some big chub on deadbaits from a lake Oxford way...might have been one that's now part of the Linear complex though back then it was a club water. After dark in the margins IIRC.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Could be carp picking up the sprat.A lake I used to fish all that was needed was a small roach legered,first time it happened it took some believing but 2 or 3 fish every Saturday throughout the winter made it the norm,it made a change to get a pike- all double figure mirrors.

Philip

Reaction score
It does sound Chubish.

Could be very interesting to find out. If I was getting takes like that I would put the Piking on the back burner and try and catch one of whatever it is.

Maybe smaller chunks of fish on the hook ledgered or even floatfished will catch one of the culprits.

As a few others have mentioned Peter Stone caught some clonker Stillwater chub fishing right in the margins after dark using fish baits. Literally at your feet.

He had all sorts of trouble trying to disguise his wire traces if I recall correctly as he felt Chub would detect them too easily. Some of the new braids are tailor made to remedy this problem but of course were not available in his day.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've had the odd carp on deadbaits when fishing Bury Hill for the zander. Every run was a most un zander like screamer but I never missed a single one. Pity the zander werent as easy to hit .

I'm with the majority on this....chub.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I'll maybe give a small chunk of something fishy a try if these fast runs continue. I'm using a soft trace (Cannelle Wondertress, as recommended recently on this very forum), so that shouldn't put off species normally averse to wire...

Philip

Reaction score
Dave, wondertress was one of those braids I was alluding to in my earlier post.

The fact your already on it I think makes it even more likly these runs could be from Chub as they are not feeling wire and so screaming off with it.

Really be interested to hear how you get on if you try the smaller chunks of fish a go. Its one of those occasions that does not arise too often so I would grab it with both hands as you just dont know what could turn up.

Good luck !

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I'll maybe give a small chunk of something fishy a try if these fast runs continue. I'm using a soft trace (Cannelle Wondertress, as recommended recently on this very forum), so that shouldn't put off species normally averse to wire...

It was me who was banging on about Wondertress. I get mine from France and would be interested if you found a UK source?
John.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My extensive searching has only shown Future Fishing as a stockist of Wondertress which is listed at £15 plus p and p but currently showing as out of stock.

With Pecheur in France currently selling it below a tenner plus just £1 for p and p with delivery within seven days, it's a no brainier.

STEEL TERMINAL TACKLE BRAID CANNELLE WONDERTRESS 795

steve2

Reaction score
Having caught carp on everything from plugs to breadflake I feel carp are the likely ones. I would assume that carp outnumber chub on your water. On one of my club waters it’s not unusual for more carp to be caught in pike matches than pike.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Yes, I'm getting the Wondertress directly from Pecheur in France - much cheaper than from the only UK source!

I'm off fishing again in about half an hour, so I'll report back this evening...

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
What a frustrating day - Big swirls and showers of fry exploding all over the place, but not a single run of any sort, either on whole sprat or sections.

Whatever was causing the swirls (pike/chub/carp?) was apparently completely preoccupied with chasing shoals of fry and uninterested in static baits.

Club rules forbid piking by any bait/method other than sea deads, either ledgered or under a float. I suspect a small spinner would have been very effective today.

I'll come back to this when (if?) I have anything further to report...

john step

Reaction score
What a frustrating day - Big swirls and showers of fry exploding all over the place, but not a single run of any sort, either on whole sprat or sections.

Whatever was causing the swirls (pike/chub/carp?) was apparently completely preoccupied with chasing shoals of fry and uninterested in static baits.

Club rules forbid piking by any bait/method other than sea deads, either ledgered or under a float. I suspect a small spinner would have been very effective today.

I'll come back to this when (if?) I have anything further to report...

Have you thought of mounting a sprat head up under a small float at half depth. A AAA shot or two above the trace helps action. (Drennan Chubber type) Overcast those swirls and sink and draw back instilling a bit of life into the bait. I cant see that breaking club rules.
Its a cracking method.

thecrow

Reaction score
completely preoccupied with chasing shoals of fry

I have done ok in the past when the pike have been fry feeding by going completely the other way and fishing big 12/16 ozs lives under a big float but as lives wouldn't be allowed I think it could work with big suspended deads, large herring would be my choice.

Another way I have fished when the pike are fry feeding was to utilise the carp anglers beachcaster rig with a live or dead dangling just under the surface but your water needs to be shallow enough to use this method.