Twist, twiddle or crimp?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Haven't needed any of those methods for my initial piking experience using Canelle Womdertress but I'm going to make up a few conventional traces using either K2k or some AFW Multistrand.

Certainly passed a few hours away last night trawling through various videos and reading people's opinions, there didn't seem to be an outright winner, there seems to be pros and cons for every method.

I'd be curious to know what methods FM members prefer and why.

flightliner

Reaction score
Twist mainly but crimping on the odd occasion , both seem ok but reckon twisting is my first choice.

thecrow

Reaction score
Always been a twister with wire, if you go the twist route make sure you make them up at home I have lost a few pairs of forceps after they flew off the wire and into the lake when making them up on the bank :eek:

soft plastic

Reaction score
Prefer a crimp myself but what intrigues me is why you would want to "twist, twiddle or crimp" the two materials you mention. I have used both, solely for the reason that they are knottable.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Prefer a crimp myself but what intrigues me is why you would want to "twist, twiddle or crimp" the two materials you mention. I have used both, solely for the reason that they are knottable.

Good point, I should add knotting to the options.

With arthritic fingers I like to have a few options available and work with the ones I'm most comfortable with.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Good point, I should add knotting to the options.

With arthritic fingers I like to have a few options available and work with the ones I'm most comfortable with.
I am very familiar with both the products you mention, I use them for traces when fly fishing for pike. I only knot them, I haven't any experience of either "twiddling" or "twisting" them but I very much doubt that it would work on them. I suspect they may take a crimp but not sure. Why bother? Just use knots, it's what they are made for.

Philip

Reaction score
Like a few others have suggested, if you can knot it then I would do that.

For wire you cant knot then I have gone back and forth on crimping or twiddling. Crimping is very quick & neat but you need to carry crimps and a tool like pliars to crimp with plus you are basically crushing the wire which never really sat well with me although I cant think of it ever actually causing a problem.

Twisting/twidding I like as its very sort of self contained..you dont need anything special and its very secure. Although you can useforceps I use a little tool I brought years ago called I think a twiddle stick which I find easier to use.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am very familiar with both the products you mention, I use them for traces when fly fishing for pike. I only knot them, I haven't any experience of either "twiddling" or "twisting" them but I very much doubt that it would work on them. I suspect they may take a crimp but not sure. Why bother? Just use knots, it's what they are made for.

What kind of knot do you use?

soft plastic

Reaction score
Perfection loop, figure of eight, clinch knot. Any of those work. Just be aware that they will not pull up tight like mono. Don't worry, they won't come undone.

terry m

Reaction score
Always go back to crimping, tried twisting and some of the supposed knotable wires but never really happy with the results. (Though never tried the canella product yet).

David Gane

Reaction score
I crimp. No other reason than because that's what I learnt first and have been doing it for years, so am quick and efficient at it.

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ve tried knotting with some of the finer wires, like Drennan 7 Strand and always get pig-tailing above the knot.

Crimps for me every time with AFW Surfstrand 1x7 American leader wire. Best stuff I’ve come across so far.

Last edited:

soft plastic

Reaction score
I’ve tried knotting with some of the finer wires, like Drennan 7 Strand and always get pig-tailing above the knot.

Crimps for me every time with AFW Surfstrand 1x7 American leader wire. Best stuff I’ve come across so far.
That can be a problem but I find it helps greatly if you tighten down the knot by pulling on the tail and not the main piece of wire. I also agree that the AFW is the best there is. If you buy the 49 strand stuff then the pig-tailing is virtually non existent.