spinning rod info please

maurice walsh

Reaction score
on the yearly trip to corfu this year i intend to have a good go at what is locally known as hunter fish, a salmon coloured and somewhat shaped, pike mouthed beast with perch like spines/fins, and grows to over 15kg, averaging over 6kg ,(there are also sea bass to 6kg in the same water along with mullet), i will be mostly spinning/plugging for said beast and with that in mind, im in the market for a travel spinning rod, 4/5 piece, 8' to 10' , and this is where i need the brains of here to help me out, what casting weight should i be looking for in said rod give'n the info above?, im sorted for reel/line etc , oh, and happy new year to all, tight lines for 2018:)

John Keane

Reaction score
I used to use a Shimano Exage Travel Spin Rod of 9/10ft in 5 pieces to cast around 50g. I used it for bass fishing around the North Wales coast and it was a beautifully made rod with a great action and a lot of power in the 10ft length.

steve2

Reaction score
Take a look at the ABU range of travel rods I have one plus a Ron Thompson travel rod that I take on holiday.

John Keane

Reaction score
Also, if you are likely to connect with something serious, Shimano do Beastmaster Travel Spin Rods.

Last edited:

maurice walsh

Reaction score
i have found a 12foot 3lb tc 6piece that would be up to the job if i hooked a beast but might be a bit long for where im going to be, seems theres a gap in the market for a mid-range, strong(2.5/3lb tc) 8foot that does not look/feel like a boat rod

John Keane

Reaction score
i have found a 12foot 3lb tc 6piece that would be up to the job if i hooked a beast but might be a bit long for where im going to be, seems theres a gap in the market for a mid-range, strong(2.5/3lb tc) 8foot that does not look/feel like a boat rod

A 10/11ft 50g tip action spinning rod will take spring salmon so I don’t think test curves come into it much. Spinning rods are never rated by test curve but by casting weight.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
thanks john, my worry is if i hit a donkey that the rod wont be up to it, as a numpty in regards to what i would call light spinning rods having never used them before ( i use a 12foot shimano soft tip 2.75 carp rod for most of my spinning/plugging/wobbling/sink n draw fishing) does casting weight relate to weight of lure your tossing about or is it a different thing? ill be matching the rod to a 300/3000 size reel with braid and some big'ish plugs with deep dive vanes , so a lot of pressure even before a strong fish( if this idiot on the rod hooks anything:D) takes a bite, im told that this hunter fish fights very strong and would prefer to be over gunned for a first go

John Keane

Reaction score
Weighting on a spinning rod relates to the maximum weight of lure that is recommended for casting. If you take it to extremes you don’t want to cast a 100g lure on a 15g rated rod. However you do have some latitude. When pike fishing I use a Fox Warrior 8ft rod rated up to 60g but I can cast a 90g Savage Gear floating rat, provided I modify the cast to a progressive lob rather than the more usual explosive punch.

David Gane

Reaction score
Totally agree with John Keane's posts. I also have the Exage travel rod and it is very versatile, especially given that it can be used at two different lengths.

Last edited:

maurice walsh

Reaction score
that being the case and going on the size of some of the plugs im intent on using, i think ill look at circa 80g-120g casting weight rods, factoring in that youve said a 50g rod will handle a spring salmon(generally running 5 to 10lb in these parts) your info has been most helpful john, thank you:w

John Keane

Reaction score
You’re welcome Maurice. You can get the Exage in a 10/11ft version and this will handle a Spey Spring Salmon which average 10-20lb in a strong flow. You are wisest though to be guided by the size and weight of the lures you want to throw. Generally in the dual length Shimano spinners the shorter length is the stiffer one and the longer length has a bit more “feeling” to it.

mikench

Reaction score
I fancy a small and light 1000 spinning reel for light lure work and a rod to go with it probably. I have an ABU 9ft spinning rod 20 to 60gm casting weight which is probably better for pike than small perch so may get a 7 ' lure rod! Any recommendations gratefully received!!

mikench

Reaction score
Maurice have a look at the Shakey ugli stick travel for light spinning and the Savage Gear travel rod for heavier lures. I have both!

Off topic but how do you prevent the top and bottom of a soda bread from becoming too crusty?:)

mikench

Reaction score
[video]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Savage-Gear-Roadrunner-XLNT2-Rod/dp/B00WR56AT6[/video]
This is the rod I bought which came in a great travel case!

B

binka

Have a look around and see if you can find a Greys GRX-I, they were available in various lengths and casting weights.

I have the two piece, 10' version but trifled over a travel version back at the time when I bought it.

I have used mine for barbel stalking as well as spinning and whilst I'm not a fan of the screw up reel fitting it really is a top notch blank, if you can find the four piece travel version I reckon it will be everything you want it to be and more.