Transporting lures

flightliner

Reaction score
I'm not a dyed in the wool lure angler by any means but I do like an occasional trip out using them.
My question is, has anyone found a neat and tidy method of storing them when "in use" .
I have mine in plastic boxes that are compartmented but each one may have several like for like spinners or lures together that always lead to the inevitable tangled mess--- any suggestions on a better way?
Ps, done the bucket rim thing but cumbersome .

Reaction score
Take less lures, you really won’t use them all. Or get a few more boxes to separate them.

My mate Derek sticks them in his hat like flies. I don’t suggest you do this as he’s a bit of a knob.

David Gane

Reaction score
I've already admitted to being a "lure tart". I have far more than I can use; there are boxes and boxes of them and they are sorted into types - soft plastic eels, surface lures, spinners etc etc. When I'm out on, say, a boat on the Broads I take a couple of plastic crates with all of the boxes in them with me but more often than not I just go for a walk for a few hours and can't carry the lot. So, I have a couple of spare compartmentalised plastic boxes in my bag and just pre-choose a few lures that I think are most likely to be the ones I use and take them.

By the way, plastic boxes cost a lot when bought from tackle shops. Obviously there are systems that require a specific size of box but by good fortune the Wychwood bag that I use is precisely the same size as plastic button boxes that can be bought in the craft section of The Range. Using those has saved me a lot of money.

One other thing which will be obvious to some, but generally has to be learned the hard way. On returning home, open all boxes where lures have been used and leave them to dry. It saves opening a box a few weeks later to find it full of rust.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
When I used to lure fish for pike, I just used a small bucket, and hung the lures by the treble, off the the rim of the bucket, the lures hung inside, so you could easily see what you had, and they didn’t tangle with one and other either.

steve2

Reaction score
For plugs I use a shoulder bags lined with tubes, easy to make just get some tubes and cut to size. Others carried in DIY compartment boxes.

Bobby0845

Reaction score
I had mine in a bucket with holes drilled around the rim.
Place a point of the trebble in the hole, can see all your lures and makes them easily accessible. Always good rand cheap

spoonminnow

Reaction score
Harbor Freight sells this box that comes with 10 storage boxes that come with or without partitions. Cost about $10 US dollars
BrZuDlo.jpg

The box that has no partitions I fill with a foam block - the kind many products are stored in when shipped to prevent damage. This I cut slits to hold jigs of various hook sizes and weights.
jL2ykXE.jpg

To use for individual treble or single hooks, cut a flat square and make a cut half way across using the same foam. Slide the hook shaft into the center and push the points into it.
YizRAMj.jpg
MoKaYXN.jpg

dvGYn5I.jpg

Has worked for me for over 20 years.