What colour braid?

Another Dave

Reaction score
What colour braid does everyone favour? Are you one for the brightly coloured stuff, or do you prefer your braid more sombre, and why?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I prefer the original green of power pro.

rich66

Reaction score
Mines bright green, supposedly easier to see bites, but you can feel the bite on the rod. I’m looking at changing from J braid x8 too many wind knots

Another Dave

Reaction score
Mines bright green, supposedly easier to see bites, but you can feel the bite on the rod. I’m looking at changing from J braid x8 too many wind knots

Anyone know if there any other reputed advantages?

terry m

Reaction score
I am fine with the normal olive coloured stuff.

But of course it fades quite quickly. Mine is a pale sandy colour, but still completely functional.

flightliner

Reaction score
Thanks for that Rich66, I was only just looking at braids to ponder on buying, you,ve just saved me making a potential bad decision.
Another Dave--- black/ grey mix for most hooklengths for me , traditional green for my mainline.

rich66

Reaction score
Thanks for that Rich66, I was only just looking at braids to ponder on buying, you,ve just saved me making a potential bad decision.
Another Dave--- black/ grey mix for most hooklengths for me , traditional green for my mainline.

It’s a pain really the amount of line that’s wasted & time. I’ve read it’s something to do with the coating once it wears off, it becomes more prone to it. Been a lot better since I had a new rod with smaller butt rings. Looking at trying Berkley Fireline Ultra 8, supposedly a fused braid designed for fixed spool reels.

Philip

Reaction score
Anyone know if there any other reputed advantages?

Another alledged advantage I have heard is that the line can also attract the fish that then home in on the lure. ...which if true sounds like a recipie for bite offs to me but there you go.

steve2

Reaction score
I use yellow braid, green braid and red braid. I got the red and yellow because they were cheaper than the other colours. Never notice any difference, I like the yellow it makes it easier to see where the lures are.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've got pink braid, yellow braid, red braid, chartreuse braid, (sounds so posh that one) but having just bought 275 yards of Power Pro for a fiver I shall mainly be using moss green.

JackGE

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer a dull green as it blends well in a lot of conditions, especially those where the fish are in a weedy environment. Although, I've always been sceptical considering they would take a deadbait with visible trebles and they also manage to swim into fishing line frequently.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think what it boils down to is that i'd feel a little self conscious about using bright braid, it really goes against my fishing instinct to keep everything low key.

In a way i wish you'd convinced me the bright stuff was better - i'd seen a reel i liked the look of and it comes with bright yellow £25 braid...

steve2

Reaction score
Dave, fly fishers have been using coloured lines for years and it as never stopped them from catching. When I first started using yellow braid I felt the same way you do but the first fish changed that and having caught many more since I have no problems with using colour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think what it boils down to is that i'd feel a little self conscious about using bright braid, it really goes against my fishing instinct to keep everything low key.

In a way i wish you'd convinced me the bright stuff was better - i'd seen a reel i liked the look of and it comes with bright yellow £25 braid...

Was it this reel by any chance?
image.jpg

Another Dave

Reaction score
I've got pink braid, yellow braid, red braid, chartreuse braid, (sounds so posh that one) but having just bought 275 yards of Power Pro for a fiver I shall mainly be using moss green.

Coming back to this, please could you tell if was the 'Power pro for a fiver' a one off deal you struck or is there somewhere i could click?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Coming back to this, please could you tell if was the 'Power pro for a fiver' a one off deal you struck or is there somewhere i could click?

Got it from an online sale at Veals, needless to say they ran out of stock very quickly, I also got some Spiderwire in a heavier bs less than half price, they are still showing some stock left.

Spiderwire smooth red 300m

Bobby0845

Reaction score
I have power pro green on my big pits and hi-viz yellow on my river rods,
I like the green but the yellow serves a good purpose especially when float fishing I find.
I was worried about the yellow when I put it on but in my opinion doesn't make a difference.
As people say comes down to personal prefrence and what you have confidence in.