Nottingham Canal Pike

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've lure fished the Nottingham canal a few times and not caught a single pike, although a large one came up for my lure once. I've fished the London road side and the Beeston side and had no luck. I've heard stories of there being some decent pike but supposedly catches are more accidental and a bit hit and miss.

Is it worth giving it another chance on some deadbaits?

I'm a bit hyped up because last weekend I caught two high double pike on the last two casts!

Any input would be appreciated!

David Gane

Reaction score
I've not fished the Nottingham Canal Jack, but why not hedge your bets and try wobbling dead baits? This link will tell you all you need to know to give it a try YouTube

Congratulations on the brace of big ones, by the way!

Last edited:

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi David, thanks for the input. I decided to go this morning and unfortunately didn't catch anything or see any signs of pike. Initially I started with smelt on the float and worked my way down the canal. I then saw a kingfisher picking out fish near a small outlet so chucked some bait out there, too. Also gave the lures a try.

As you suggested I twitched some sprats along the bottom, too. May give it another go when it's warmer but I don't think it holds many pike.

john step

Reaction score
If its any consolation, it could be that the weather has been so cold for so long and not necessarily lack of pike. I have found it hard since the new year in waters I know contain good numbers of pike. Those that I have winkled out have a lot of lice on them signifying they are laying still and not inclined to move I believe.
Those that oblige do so in low light/dusk conditions which I believe is due to water clarity.

B

binka

I think they lay up in a dormant state during such temperature extremes, and only a bait plonked on their nose will induce a take.

This is often borne out when the temperatures increase again, they begin to mobilise and those caught often have lice attached to them.