Light lure fishing for perch

mikench

Reaction score
Where braid is not allowed, what mono and in what bs is recommended? A couple of pools are believed to contain small pike which have entered via outfalls and small streams!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you're chucking lures into swims that may contain snags Mike you'll want something a bit beefier than 4lb, either that or take a lot of lures with you!

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks John and point taken. The first couple of venues I am likely to try are relatively snag free( I hope) but I shall see!:) I suspect you only use braid but what bs /diameter ?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks John and point taken. The first couple of venues I am likely to try are relatively snag free( I hope) but I shall see!:) I suspect you only use braid but what bs /diameter ?

Yes I do use braid, so far not fishing anywhere that prohibits it.

Having lost a few lures I now use 80lb braid on the heavier rod for piking. Lightweight setup spooled up with 18lb braid using an 8lb fluoro leader.

Can't recall the diameters, for the given breaking strain, they are very skinny compared to mono. PC is right about casting distance with heavier mono, if that's all you can use then a bit of trial and error.

In the warmer months when the fish will take bait higher in the water it shouldn't be such an issue but this time of year you want to be on the deck, unless you're fishing a weedless lure it's easy to find the smallest of snags.

Don't forget, it's not all about the snags we can't see under the surface, trees and Bankside vegetation seem to have a magnetic attraction to a lure. My casting is still far from perfect, when it improves maybe I'll be able to scale down a bit.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
All part of the learning curve of life!! Fun though! Having looked at the venues I am likely to use as opposed to could use, and where braid is not prohibited, I think braid is the way to go! I will look for some low diameter braid and see how it goes! I use 30 lb braid for lure fishing in the sea!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm still a novice to this lure fishing malarkey, haven't caught a great number of fish but have lost a few too many lures for my liking.

When you've got spare time check out videos on YouTube by the "River Piker" his name is Paul Bosworth, a true Yorkshire lad who doesn't mince his words, amusing, entertaining and very knowledgeable when it comes to lure fishing for pike, chub and perch, he has literally done hundreds of videos and they are all very good.

Another Dave

Reaction score
River Piker's videos are really good. Some of the other youtubers get on my nerves after a while but he doesn't.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
River Piker's videos are really good. Some of the other youtubers get on my nerves after a while but he doesn't.

Especially the ones where he teams up with his mate Adie, another top angler.

B

binka

No link I'm afraid!

Same again here.

I've had it a few times and I reckon it's when videos are embedded, to appear and play in the post, as opposed to the URL link being posted to the outside site and possibly subject to the device it is attempted to be viewed upon.

Frustrating all the same...

sagalout

Reaction score
I can see the youtube screen embedded in me post, you lot is blind! Here you are cut and paste
https: //www.youtube.com[bollox]/watch?v=5hSRGBZS6HY
you might need to remove the [bollox] bit n the middle, it's the only way I can stop it embedding the youtube video.

sagalout

Reaction score
So come on Seth, spill the beans how come you can do it and I can't, apart from the fact I are mostly a useless ****? Oh is it because I used insert link and not insert video? What a plonker!

seth49

Reaction score
The way I do it on my iPad is.
Find the clip on utube I want to upload, to the right of it are three dots arranged vertically, click on these and click on share, a dialogue box tells if you are successful.

Open the post you want to link it too, click reply to thread.

Second icon from right is the link video one, click on that and paste the link in the box.

Then click OK,

To check if it's worked, click go advanced below, and then preview post.

You should then see your clip, add any thing else you want,

Then post reply.

If anyone wants to move this to were it can be seen, please feel free to do so.
I'm going for a brew now, my heads hurting, bit soon in a morning for me.
Enjoy.

seth49

Reaction score
Just noticed I can see your link sagalout, on my iPad upstairs which is running an older version of apples ios,
On my new one downstairs which is running the latest version, iOS 11 nothing.so it must be something to do with that.
I can’t see your link which I reposted either.