Pike Rod Suggestions

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently using my Ugly Stik GX2 for lure fishing and often pop a deadbait on, too. I am however looking for a deadbait rod as some fisheries have strict rules requiring specific rods etc. Plus, I could use it for carp, too. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under £50 as I need a reel, too.

I was looking at the Daiwa black widow G50 in the 10ft (more manoeuvrable) 3lb test. Anyone have experience with this rod?

Again, any guidance would be great!

steve2

Reaction score
What are the rules they have with regards to tackle for pike fishing?
Take a look at Wychwood 10ft Agitator Bait Rods or any 10 ft carp rods. I have used TFG 10ft compact carp rods for much of my pike fishing for years and these have handled pike to well over 20lb.

Last edited:

JackGE

Reaction score
Their rules are usually to do with test curve strength and line strength. Thanks for the suggestions but I read that a lot of carp rods have most of their action in the tip and that a through action is better?

steve2

Reaction score
The compact carp rods I use are through action. They will cast half baits well but if you are use bigger baits and trying for long distance go for the pike rods.

David Gane

Reaction score
Personally, I'd say that 3lb test curve is a bit too stiff. I prefer 2.75 lb or even 2.5 lb if not attempting to cast to the horizon (which I very rarely do).

I use my Fox Warrior 12 foot carp rods for piking. Never had any difficulty with them at all. The only difference between a pike rod and a carp one that I have ever noticed in practice is that carp rods usually have a couple more rings.

JackGE

Reaction score
I'd prefer something a bit softer than 3lb as you've mentioned. Also, I don't lob baits for miles either when most of the pike tend to be around the margins in weeds and slacks etc. Depends on the venue of course. There is one venue which as small islands I'd like to cast out to. Think I'd like a 10ft 2.75lb test.l curve.

steve2

Reaction score
In that case go for the Compact Carp rods. If the TFG ones are still available you can get a pair for the price some so called better makes .

john step

Reaction score
Also consider that if you intend to fish any of the drains then a bit of extra reach is an advantage as they have a lot of marginal reed and bankside vegetation. I found my 10 footers were needy and got a couple of 12 foot jobs.

I have 2.75 rated rods that are not as mellow as a couple of 3 lb rods I use. Why, I am not sure but it must be where the power is built in.
I tried the feel of several rods in the shop before parting with the readies.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
It's the usual problem; rods that suit one venue do not suit another. I have 12ft rods but they are too long for the venues I now fish. Trying rods in a shop unfortunately does not match using rods on the bank.

I have 2 12ft fox warrior carp rods that I thought would be ideal but found them to be totally unsuitable. I used them once and never used them again. If you lived closer you could have the pair for £50.

B

binka

It's a shame the Fox Warrior 2.75lb deadbait rods aren't available any longer, I've got a pair which serve every purpose of my pike fishing in river and stillwater and I picked 'em up for well under a ton the pair from new all in.

I've not done a search and don't know how often they come up on the bay but there were a fair few around and it might be worth keeping a weather eye out if you don't mind buying second hand, they have a very nice all through action and are softer in the tip than their carp equivalents and will keep those hooks firmly embedded in soft deadbaits whilst casting.

Edited to add:

I reckon these might be a re-marketed version and although it's over your £50 (and 12') they're not extortionate...

Fox Rage Predator Deadbait Rods | eBay

Alternatively, these are one of those 'too good to be true' type of things but judge it for yourself, they're nearer you're 10' than the 12' Fox rod...

2 X Okuma G-force Pike Dead Bait Rods 11ft 2.75lb + 2 X Free Spool Reels RRP PS65 | eBay

Last edited:
B

binka

Why cannot a barbel rod be used for pike! :)

I would say that's a combination of things Mike, the two which spring to mind are the backbone to cast large deadbaits and the sheer power of a large pike on a surging run.

Barbel rods tend to be between 1.75lb and 2.25lb at the heavier end of the scale and whilst I wouldn't shy off of using a 2.25lb I'd rather go for a 2.75lb given the amount of times I've been flat rodded with an upper double river pike.

I've landed 20+ unintended river pike on a 1.6lb Avon whilst perch fishing and suffice to say that Lady Luck played a significant part :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I have to agree with Brother Binka. I use barbel rods for my zander fishing but I'm fishing small baits at relatively close range on small hooks. Barbel rods tend to be more through actioned too and just dont have the nuts to cast big baits or to set the hooks properly. Ive had respectably sized accidental pike while zandering and frankly I was hanging on and hoping. Pike are much more of a handful than zander in my experience....zander dog about a bit but I wouldnt call them great fighters.

John Keane

Reaction score
I was using 2 x Korum 12ft carp rods in 2.75lb tc for my piking but found them to be a nuisance sticking through the car and between the two front seats. I happened on the 10ft Fox Eos in 3lb tc in a January sale at £25 a pop so I bought two. Think they’re only £39.99 RRP and they’re a very nice rod. The only other competitor in the price range was the Daiwa G50 Black Widow, but my barbel rod and my 14ft waggler are Warrior S and they’re both nice rods so I went for Fox.

thecount

Reaction score
I recently got a pair of Shakey sigma pike rods to replace the ancient Sundridge carp rods I used to use for deadbaiting. I'm no expert but the new rods feel much nicer when playing a fish and I no longer worry about hearing a crunching sound when chucking out a decent sized bait & lead