Perch habitat as evening comes on

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Going up to one of our club lakes tomorrow evening to do some lure fishing. Given the warm weather where should I be casting round to stand a chance: under trees, near reed beds etc?

rich66

Reaction score
If the suns out they seem to prefer the shady spots. Towards dusk they should be reasonably active.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Perch like cover, any cover, they can be spooky on busy club waters or commercials and do move to deeper water if disturbed.

You will know what type of water you are fishing, but I would always try the margins, snags, trees and bushes first, if there are any structures, give them a go, as a rule of thumb, Perch tend to be most active in low light condition, dawn and dusk, but on some waters will feed throughout the day !!

Bob

Philip

Reaction score
Agree with the above posts. Would also add that as it comes to last knockings...literally as its getting right on dark Perch will often move onto shallows to hunt things like minnows.

I remeber fishing a river for Roach and I used to turn up to fish the last hour or so of daylight. Whilst I was sitting low and waiting for the Roach I used to notice Perch would move into the shallow water right at my feet each evening on the hunt, even chasing my Roach rig sometimes as I reeled it in. It got so predictable that I started to take a tiny little spinning rod with me and just kept it to one side. As dusk drew in I used to have a few casts with a tiny spinner or plug and would catch these Perch as they moved in.