Dropshotting rod recommendations for canal needed

Mixin123

Reaction score
I'm looking at trying dropshotting on my local canal that holds a lot of Perch, but I'm struggling on which dropshotting rod to buy as they come in a large variety of lengths & weight (g) categories.

My rod budget is £100, but I can spend a out the more if needed.

Also, will my Daiwa TDM2508 reel with mono line be OK in conjunction with dropshotting?

Many thanks for any help.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

just use a float and maggots mate and save your 100 bob.

Edit: I realize that was a crappy thing to say.. (so I change my answer to) Use any rod you like. You can impart action into the lure by tugging on the line near your reel and you dont need a light rod for indication, just hold the line as you would touch ledgering. I have dabbled with drop shotting and have found its not as successful as just using small jigs for perch.. If you use a long rod you can just hold the rod over the water and bounce the lure up and down while stationary anyway. I got sucked into the drop shotting thing and wasted money on it which i will never see back.

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
If you’ve got a short-Ish feeder rod you could use that to give it a go with. Not the easiest of disciplines in fishing. I’ve caught more on light lures jigged but that’s took me a couple of winters to get the hang of it. I don’t normally bother during the spring summer months, but I might nip out this morning for a bash.

I use a korum snapper 5-15g 7foot rod for light lure and dropshot fishing. Light and nice enough without breaking the bank at around £40

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you’re serious about drop shotting then by a rod designed for the method, your budget will get you a good rod, the Drennan one for example. Don’t go too short, you may want to reach over vegetation etc, 8ft is about right imo.

If you’re only going to have a dabble at it (some find it boring) then compromise with a light tip rod or similar if you already have one, however with the different action the fun isn’t the same.

Balance of rod and reel is important, your reel may do the job nicely.

I’m off in a few hours to have a go myself and try and find a Canterbury trout.

Mixin123

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

The only light action rod I have is a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight at 12ft, but I wouldn't want to risk catching a Pike or large perch to often on that. It's also a little long for this type of thing.

My other rods are pellet waggler, again a bit long and without fine tips.

That Korum snapper looks good - but are there any other similar dropshotting rods I could look at that have a good reputation?

rich66

Reaction score
Do you have a tackle shop local ? Might be best to go down have a play with what they have to offer.