Mini lure fishing.

Another Dave

Reaction score
sponnminnow, thanks for that. I have a thousand questions but i'm going to take your advice and give your style a go in the current gin clear shallow conditions.

Closest lure i have is some cherry red 'polaris' in 1.8", presumably they would do the trick?

1.8-polaris-rigged.jpg

john step

Reaction score
spoonminnow - your post there has really got me thinking you could teach me a thing or two. I'm at the stage where if i can't see, and indeed feel, some kind of wobble in the tail action then my faith in the lure just isn't there. Your pics prove i'm wrong, there is so much to master. i was out today with a 1.5" hard plastic and had interest from chub, little perch and a solid take from a jack where i fluffed the strike but in the 1 hour i was out there were so many 'could have beens'.

john step - i'm using 6lb knot2kinky, fancy swapping a trace in the interests of fishing science?

Dave, I will send you a sample. Dont forget that EDIT I suggested .

Another Dave

Reaction score
spoonminnow, just gave this a very quick session and i found it tough. In the short space of time i was out i saw small perch, a small pike and a decent trout investigate my lure but when they got close up they backed away. I'm not sure if i'm doing the action correctly, a slow retrieve bumping the bottom was what i ended up doing, but the lure still ended up under my rod tip in no time. Very small river so not casting far.

Tried keeping it in one place but couldn't really get any movement in the tail without gradually bringing it in. Any idea what i'm doing wrong? Line and jigs etc all very close to what you said.

Philip

Reaction score
Philip,For the last 2 or 3 years I have been using Cannelle Wondertress (I think thats the spelling) for much of my piking traces. When I try mini lures soon I will try using it for this type of fishing. It behaves like a braid. It has wire fibres woven into it and is extremely durable. Its flexible and knots like braid.
It outlasts wire by a multiple of times which negates the greater cost.
I have a thinner example of 8 kg bs which I think will be fine for this as opposed to the beefier stuff for piking. The 8kg strength I use for deadbaiting for perch where pike and eels are a possibility.
I get it from pecheur.com in France who mail order it.
There are a few videos on youtube about it.

John, thanks...in fact I am already a Wondertress user myself :) ...very good product as you say. Seems to solve the issue of what trace to use when livebaiting for Perch !

However I am not so keen on it as a trace for lure fishing, cant really put my finger on why but I prefer something with a bit more stiffness for things like jigging/drop shotting etc although its probably just a problem in my head.

Philip

Reaction score
Dave I'll usually go for a small curly tail grub in a plain colour ...Lighter colour in coloured water and darker when it is clear...so just basic stuff really.

Keep in mind I dont do allot of lure fishing ..just something I mess around with from time to time..holidays or for a quick lunch time dangle sort of thing.
Sounds like your allot more clued up on it than me to be honest :)

Last edited:

Another Dave

Reaction score
Oh i know some of it but i am fully aware that i could have caught several fish in my hour out today, i know the the swims inside out.

In the summer i love that i can go out with such a light pack, my half frozen drink is the heaviest piece of cargo. I have no doubt i could have caught most/some/one of the decent fish i spotted if i'd had lobworms, or meat for the chub and trout, but lure fishing holds a kind of magic for me.

Last edited:

Another Dave

Reaction score
I'm still bashing away at this spoonminnow. Today i had a situation where a jack followed the lure in then i was able to make the lure dance on the spot and would you know, it worked. Unfortunately i didn't have any wire trace on, which makes it 3 bite-offs vs 1 pike landed this season so far. The point is that i induced a take with no more room to retrieve. With the curly tail grubs i'm always getting follows from small perch and pike but once you get the lure to the end of the road they just look at it confused.

Lure was a floating one, so it stood tail up. Found this help me make it wag the tail just with the tiniest movement of my finger on the line. Visibility is 10/10 with the sunshine and drought, quite the education.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Frank sorry, a jack is what we call a small pike, in my case they range from a couple of oz to a few pounds and they all have razor sharp teeth that cut through mono and light fluro in a millisecond.