Is it possible to stock predator fish species from other countries to England?

thecrow

Reaction score
I doubt that any species not already here would be allowed to be imported into this country.

Although I don't practice it myself lure fishing has always had a following and it does seem to be getting more popular.

rich66

Reaction score
I’ve been out lure fishing this morning, I’m not very successful but quite enjoy it. As for importing other predators I doubt it would be welcomed by most. We have the zander which is an “import” that some still are not happy with.
Went bass fishing on Lake Ontario when I was about 11-12 once that was fun.

Lure fishing does seem to be getting more popular especially with the younger anglers.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I do lots of lure fishing and must admit I am envious of the predators that you guys have on offer. Pike and perch offer some great sport here whilst zander are just a pain in the ass IMO. The pike fishing here is sublime but nothing compared to the muskie you guys have.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Current laws remove the possibility of predatory fish being imported for release into the wild.
However, the laws have not always been as restrictive and some have been circumvented anyway. Whilst serving in the forces, I heard tales of US Servicemen bringing at least one type of freshwater bass into the UK to be stocked into ponds on a USAF base (Lakenheath, Mildenhall?). I also witnessed a swimming pool being filled with rainbow trout on a USAF base in a foreign (not US/UK) country. That being the case, I don't disbelieve the tales about the bass.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not remotely interested in importing random fish, predatory or not. I suspect that many UK anglers would feel the same. We have quite enough predators in ruffe, perch, pike, zander, trout, and wels catfish. You can also chuck chub into the equation as one of the more aggressive omnivores. Even then, not all of those are indigenous to the UK. I'd not bat an eyelid if wels, zander and rainbow trout were eradicated.

I have to admit, I'm not, and never will be, a lure angler. However, I hope even ardent lure anglers would be against the unlikely prospect of any legal importation of random predatory species. I also hope that UK angling retains the significant differences from US angling that have existed for many decades. There's no issue in taking lessons, but wholesale mimicry, of the fishing from another continent, would be a terrible thing.

The OP seems to have the idea that there's something wrong with UK fishing because it's not the same as US fishing. I'd suggest that the different ways of fishing have developed because of the differences. Making either a clone of the other by interfering with what's natural would be a terrible idea.

daniel121

Reaction score
Unfortunately we do have Catfish, we have a few that have made their way into our waterways now. Personally I'm not a fan of man playing god, I quite like allowing nature to run it's course, she knows the right balance better than we do.

In my opinion we have enough predators in our waters, chub, trout, salmon, eels, perch, pike, zander and catfish that's more than enough in my eyes?

O

O.C.F.Disorder

its funny, people will travel miles to catch asian carp here.. god forbid they ever establish a wild population here.

daniel121

Reaction score
I don't think it's that simple OCF, there would be huge fines if a irresponsible fishery own were to stock illegal and it were to get in the waterways

thecrow

Reaction score
That fish looks dead to me, look at its eye its dry.

This could have been a hoax as the snake head in the Welland was or was it a top mouthed gudgeon?

thecrow

Reaction score
This picture was from 7 years ago, the EA said they would be speaking to the owner but nothing else heard?

The picture was taken in the dark so a flash must have been used, there is no brightness in the eye it has the look of a fish on the fishmongers slab, even fresh dead fish have a shine/brightness in the eye this one doesn't leading me to believe it was a hoax and the fish was dead

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I dont think you can catch silver carp in the traditional methord.. From what I read you have to snag them like poachers snag salmon