True breaking strain of wire trace.

mickb

Reaction score
Hi all. As i see it almost all mono lines are rated at a lower breaking strain than is achievable. For example a line advertised to break at 10lb b.s. may well break at 14lb. The well known big game line is extremely understated and the 12lb version breaks at 17lb. Obviously diameter tells us more than breaking strain does when buying mono. Pre stretched mono being an exception to the rule. I believe most mainline braids are the opposite and a braid rated at 30lb may well break at 25lb or even less. Fluoros need a bit extra in diameter to compare to monos of the same strength and hook length braids are meant to be spot on according to kryston. What i cant find is true wire trace breaking strain. Does the tried and tested drennan 7 strand 28lb break at 28lb? Has anyone ever tested the true breaking strain of wire and is there any difference between twisting or crimping when it comes to strength.

john step

Reaction score
Good question. I don't recall any tests however as wire trace is usually used at breaking strains greater than main line ones I doubt anyone has broken one attached whilst fishing.Like you I would be interested to hear from anyone who has tested it.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I can't think that I've had any traces broken. Then again, I use the coated ones a lot, but any low (=<30lbs) B/S ones that have a kink in them get replaced immediately, unlike with some anglers who fish on with something zig-zag shaped. I think that is the main danger or leaving uncoated ones in the open air to rot a little, perhaps. Never seen any tests.
I tend to use 15-20lbs for very light spinning, 30lbs for general deadbait fishing, and 45 - 60lbs for heavier casting of baits. For jerk baits it's stainless stiff wire that states a 160lbs B/S and I'm not got to test that! Titanium ones shouldn't kink, so they say.

steve2

Reaction score
After 50 years of pike fishing I can honestly say I have never had a pike break a trace. Even back in the days of single strand wire which kinked and needed changing when it did.
When you think about it are there any freshwater fish that could break 20/30/40lb wire trace or line in a straight pull.
I now use a lot of Titanium traces for lure fishing and they don’t appear to kink.

B

binka

a braid rated at 30lb may well break at 25lb or even less.

Or a pound if it comes into something solid, such as a rock.

With you all the way on flouro though, and in a polar opposite to braid it has a robustness well beyond mono when you're in a situation where any amount of chaffing could occur and the slightly thicker diameter and stiffness are a good trade off imo.

I've never had cause to question wire trace breaking strains though, probably because I generally use 15lb mono on my Pike set ups as opposed to 60lb braid where the latter might bring the trace into question if I had to pull for a break.

I will say that I've used various Drennan trace wires down to their 10lb Soft Strand and I've always found them to be very reliable, without giving me any reason to question them.

David Gane

Reaction score
I may be stating the obvious here, but wire traces do lose their strength very quickly when they become kinked. This can often happen after catching a fish - or when getting snagged. I've never lost a pike through a trace breaking, but I have lost one or two lures on the cast when a kinked trace has given way.

Whenever a trace goes more than mildly out of shape I change it. That can happen several times a day if I'm catching. My philosophy is that I'd rather spend 60 seconds tying on a new bit of terminal tackle than risk losing the fish of a lifetime.