What leader for perch?

rondo69

Reaction score
Not having lure fished for at least 15 years I want to start spinning / lures for perch on a small river. There are a few pike around so what leader would you recommend.
Wire. flurocarbon, braid or is there some new material available.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I would avoid any risk and use a wire leader. I quite like the drennan green pike wire. The perch dont seem to care what leader you use ALTHOUGH I must say my biggest perch was on 6lb mono straight through.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I find when the perch are up for it then wire doesn't put them off but when they're being difficult fluoro will get you more bites. Wire certainly puts zander off.

I always use wire with trebles regardless of lure size. Soft plastics of two inches or less I use a single barbless hook and I fish them on fluoro, presuming there isn't a massive head of pike.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If there are any pike present then you have only one option which is wire.
To fish anything other than wire knowing pike are present isn't good practice.
I use wire when spinning for perch and I really haven't had any problems catching them,as stillwater said, if they're in hunting mode they will be more intent on a meal than looking for anything suspicious.

Philip

Reaction score
If there are any pike present then you have only one option which is wire.
To fish anything other than wire knowing pike are present isn't good practice.
I use wire when spinning for perch and I really haven't had any problems catching them,as stillwater said, if they're in hunting mode they will be more intent on a meal than looking for anything suspicious.

Good advice but not entirley true. There are some alternatives to wire. This stuff is pike proof and allot more supple than any wire. I believe John Steps also a fan.

Tresse a bas de ligne acier cannelle wondertress 795

I actually prefer something a bit stiffer when lure fishing but thats a personal preference.

Last edited:
B

binka

I've tried all sorts and the green coated 10lb Drennan Soft Strand has been as good as anything really, much more readily available and cheaper than a lot I've bought in the past.

If I had to think of how many dropped runs I've had whilst livebaiting for Perch I'd be hard pushed to think of any, they're pretty decisive in my experience and despite having my own forays into different trace wires I've come to the conclusion that, providing it's nothing too heavy, they're really not that bothered.

Whether or not different wires can deter a take in the first place I can't say, but I suspect I know ;)

john step

Reaction score
Good advice but not entirley true. There are some alternatives to wire. This stuff is pike proof and allot more supple than any wire. I believe John Steps also a fan.

Tresse a bas de ligne acier cannelle wondertress 795

I actually prefer something a bit stiffer when lure fishing but thats a personal preference.

I use the above product for pike/zander fishing but have not used it for lure fishing. I think that being so soft and supple it would be more prone to tangle on the cast. I have something called K2K from AGM products which anotherdave recommended. It seems fine enough.

Philip

Reaction score
I use the above product for pike/zander fishing but have not used it for lure fishing. I think that being so soft and supple it would be more prone to tangle on the cast. I have something called K2K from AGM products which anotherdave recommended. It seems fine enough.

Yes thats my take on it as well John..its a bit too supple for lure fishing and I would be concerned it might tangle too..

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember hooking a pike what appeared to be mid 20's, I had it on for a minuite or three but eventually it cut through my coates snakeskin braid.
The pike had taken a large bunch of maggots on my leger set up aimed at tench. I've been present when pike went straight through heavy flurocarbon whilst jigging for zander.
Personally I would never use anything other than wire for pike.

john step

Reaction score
I remember hooking a pike what appeared to be mid 20's, I had it on for a minuite or three but eventually it cut through my coates snakeskin braid.
The pike had taken a large bunch of maggots on my leger set up aimed at tench. I've been present when pike went straight through heavy flurocarbon whilst jigging for zander.
Personally I would never use anything other than wire for pike.

Tigger if you are referring to the Cannelle Tress it does actually have wire woven into it despite some folk thinking it is akin to carp braid.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger if you are referring to the Cannelle Tress it does actually have wire woven into it despite some folk thinking it is akin to carp braid.

Yeah, that's sounds alreet John but I only ever feel right using propper wire where pike are concerned. If you feel confident with it then it's good for you :).