Livebaiting for Perch

B

binka

This is meant as quite a general discussion in that anything related is very welcome, I've spent the morning making up a few relatively fine paternoster rigs incorporating 10lb Drennan Soft Steel for the wire as Pike are likely to be a nuisance and, to a lesser degree and actually quite desirable, Zander too.

But my specific question to others, and to kick things off is...

Do you find wire to be a hindrance when you're livebaiting for Perch?

Personally I haven't but then that's almost exclusively been on the river where things tend to be a lot more animalistic, I could imagine that to be quite an opposite on some stillwaters.

I reckon this could well be my entire Winter focus, given the odd diversion for a Barbel during high water and general convenience sessions close to home when I've little time to spare so anything vaguely related to the general topic is very welcome...

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I have found that live baiting with minnows doesnt require wire as the pike wont touch them. Anyone else found that? I really dont understand why people go after predators in the winter.. They are more lethargic, its freezing fudging cold outside and blanks are around every corner.. Predator fishing is best in the summer, im not sure why everyone has this crazy notion that you gotta fish for predators in the winter? I have decided im not going to fish ANY natural venues this winter, not worth it. Instead, I am going to do some hardcore carping.

B

binka

I really dont understand why people go after predators in the winter.. They are more lethargic, its freezing fudging cold outside and blanks are around every corner.. Predator fishing is best in the summer, im not sure why everyone has this crazy notion that you gotta fish for predators in the winter?

Because, in my case at least, I'm too busy going after other species during the Summer although I do quite a lot of Perch fishing throughout all the seasons.

My local river comes into its own in Winter for bait fishing for predators, something I wouldn't even entertain in Summer due to the lightening fast turn and swallow times when fish such as Pike are running a much higher metabolic rate.

I don't like lure fishing, never really have if I'm honest but I do enjoy my bait fishing but I wouldn't go near it until the water temperatures are well on their way down.

I also find location far easier in Winter, I wouldn't consider any of those reasons to be crazy notion.

Edited to add:

Interesting comment regarding the minnows, thanks.

Has anyone who's used them found they take decent sized Perch?

I think it was Bob Roberts who said something along the lines of small livebaits usually taking small Perch, I tend to go for something (preferably another Perch) of around 2oz-3oz...

free image host

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
A nearby water had a big head of Perch and as my mate had a boat on it we decided to have a go at them with lives, bait was minnows with a light trace we caught loads of jacks on them but no Perch, gudgeon however produced both Pike and Perch the trace which was nowhere near as advanced as is available nowadays didn't seem to put them off.

sagalout

Reaction score
When I were a lad (yes, yes, it was a long time ago) we use to use minnows for jacks. Used to get the train to the river Wey, catch a bucket load of minnows with bottle traps, then get the train back to a canal that was stuffed with jacks. Brilliant fun on a 13ft float rod and a centre pin.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Because, in my case at least, I'm too busy going after other species during the Summer although I do quite a lot of Perch fishing throughout all the seasons.
On numerous occasions this summer I have had on rod out live baiting for pike/perch and one rod targeting other species. Why dont other people do this?

I don't like lure fishing, never really have if I'm honest but I do enjoy my bait fishing but I wouldn't go near it until the water temperatures are well on their way down.
I have killed two pike this year :( BUT not from my bait fishing.. From lure fishing! I assume they died as they were bleeding a lot from their gills.. but they did swim off. I wouldnt use a dead bait but I dont hesitate to use a live bait and havent had any problems with it. That said, I recall some famous angler deadbaiting under a float during the summer months.

I also find location far easier in Winter
That is very true, not something that bothers me yet. sure it will in a couple of decades.

I think it was Bob Roberts who said something along the lines of small livebaits usually taking small Perch, I tend to go for something (preferably another Perch) of around 2oz-3oz.
I guess my results kinda concur with that as my biggest perch of all time have been on lures and skimmers (aimed at pike).

caught loads of jacks on them but no Perch
Maybe stillwater pike act different to river pike? I had assumed the pike decided they were not worth the effort.

EDIT: It was mick brown YouTube

Last edited:
B

binka

On numerous occasions this summer I have had on rod out live baiting for pike/perch and one rod targeting other species. Why dont other people do this?

Pretty much for the reason I mentioned earlier, Pike in particular can turn and swallow a bait in the bat of an eyelid when the water is warmer and their metabolic rate higher. Perch can be just as quick, but in their case a sizeable bait can slow that down.

I'm not suggesting it's happened to you but I wouldn't bet against it, eventually and I guess you could apply that all year round but it's about minimising the risk.

I have killed two pike this year :( BUT not from my bait fishing.. From lure fishing! I assume they died as they were bleeding a lot from their gills..

That suggests to me that the lures have been taken down deeply on the hit, tying in with what I've already mentioned as I can't see how gill damage could otherwise occur.

Anyway, not wanting to get side tracked with seasonal issues...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pike will take any size of livebait including minnows! I've had numerous pike
Well up into double figures take single maggot and i've witnessed this happen on many occassions also.
If your gonn'a use a live bait then you need a trace....unless the water is a pike free zone.

flightliner

Reaction score
I enjoy luring but have used a livo on the odd occasion but only on the big Yorkshire canal system.
The one in question was seemingly sparsely populated with pike so I never used a wire trace ( neither did one or two luminaries doing the same) only simple mono.
My best at the time was dead on three lbs and interestingly it came just as a leisure craft went by causing the bait to be danced about in the swell .
Never did have a pike on that place but lure fishing always produced more takes than a natural bait.

thecrow

Reaction score

Maybe because livebaiting or deads come to that require the full attention of the angler not a glance now and then, predators are liable to swallow the bait very quickly during the summer sometimes on the spot.

B

binka

If your gonn'a use a live bait then you need a trace....unless the water is a pike free zone.

Totally agree mate.

I would love to just be able to use some fouro and it would be so much easier and quicker without having to fiddle around crimping traces but I can't take the chance on the waters i'll be fishing.

I took me the best part of two hours to knock up half a dozen fixed paternoster rigs this morning but I reckon it will be worthwhile, for Perch I use micro swivels and beads on 10lb Drennan Soft Strand which has been strong enough in the past for unintended Pike into low 20's...

screen shot windows 7

The swivel to the left is for attaching a rotten bottom to, which in turn will run down to the lead. I've used quick links in the past but I'm just trying to keep things as minimal as possible and then, on the right, I have the up trace which will attach to the mainline for extra assurance.

I will be fishing some deep swims with this rig so i'll plumb up with the lead in place and a slider float, and just sit the float so that its buoyancy negates some of the weight of the lead when I get a take.

The hook is a size 6 Korda wide gape barbless, I hook the baits through the wrist of the tail so that they swim away from the paternoster which in turn just about eradicates tangles and i'll use a slither of silicone tubing to hold the bait on.

It's got blank written all over it! :eek:mg:

Only joking, I've done quite well on this in the past, it's just a ball ache catching the lives first and taking the two sets of gear but I'm determined to put myself out a bit this Autumn & Winter.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was inspired by the FM Perch challenge and was lucky enough to win this most prestigious of contests a year or two ago.

I was fortunate to have a lake local to me with just a few perch in it but they were all of a specimen size mostly over three pound. Many hours with numerous blanks over a long Winter but I did manage to find four of those elusive perch, including the winner proudly displayed in my avatar.

Two were caught on livebait and two on worm. I tried to add to that tally the following year during Summer with zero success, the carp made it an impossible task, I even caught a decent sized common on livebait thinking for one mad moment I had a record perch on!

For me it’s a definite Autumn to Spring pleasure, wasping through the Summer with lures is fun though.

P.S. I only read a few days back that due to the design of their teeth Zander don’t bite through mono so no wire required for this species at least, is this correct?

john step

Reaction score
I found a livo rudd the best as they try to swim upwards in full view of the perch.
As an aside my two attempts a perch this month have been dismal failures.
Even the little ones seem to have disappeared . I hope we are not in for another dose of the 1970s disappearing act.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think people realise that perch willreadily take dead baits!
Steve Burk use deads in a video some years ago, I think it was a series about predators and no doubt it will be on youtube.

B

binka

I was fortunate to have a lake local to me with just a few perch in it but they were all of a specimen size mostly over three pound. Many hours with numerous blanks over a long Winter but I did manage to find four of those elusive perch, including the winner proudly displayed in my avatar.

Two were caught on livebait and two on worm. I tried to add to that tally the following year during Summer with zero success, the carp made it an impossible task, I even caught a decent sized common on livebait thinking for one mad moment I had a record perch on!

Aren't you tempted to have a new campaign on the same water John, considering those fish could now be even bigger?

It's hard work though and you have to forgo sessions doing other things where you know you would otherwise be catching a few fish, I appreciate that.

Some of the angling comics would have you believe it's raining 4lb Perch but I've certainly found that the three's I've had have been hard won, I really do feel up for it this time though.

I reckon a good seven months or so concentrating my efforts should produce something of note but this is fishing and there are no guarantees, I'm sure i'll enjoy it though and learn a few new tricks along the way.

B

binka

Without wanting to suffer your wrath for mentioning it the one that came off at the net would do.

Bloody hell mate don't remind me, I think 5 would have been nearer than 4 :eek:mg:

I think i'll be very lucky to ever see one that big again but it does go to show it can be done, the difference in that case being a couple of seconds and a straightened hook :eek:mg: :eek:mg:

I've never made that mistake with a hook since...

seth49

Reaction score
I’m thinking of having a go for perch were I fish, I was sat behind two carp rods on alarms so I was watching the fry jumping out in the evening a couple of weeks ago,
When a perch’s dorsal fin came out of the water, it was huge, big as my hand and spines like knitting needles, really fancy a go at these.