Dead bait Rods

Jimk2

Reaction score
With 1.75tc and some carp rods, you won't have the ability to cast an 10oz macky and a 4 oz lead. You need the higher test curve.
Also what if you hooked a decent pike on a 1.75tc barbell rod, There rod would wrap round double and the fish could head for a snag or the fight could be too prolonged exhausting the pike.
Go heavy, respect the fish. I use minimum 3lb tc rods, mini big pit reels with 0.41mm 65lb braid.

mikench

Reaction score
So what would you recommend as a suitable rod! If pike rods are like carp rods ie no fun for the angler and brutal on the fish then I won't bother! In truth I know they are not but I dislike heavy!!!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Re: Dead bait Ro

As you may remember Mike it was only a year ago when I caught my first pike.

qoYTtcc.jpg

Caught from my local river Stour in a particularly snaggy swim. It was more luck than shrewd choice that I chose to use my Greys 6ft stalking rod, not sure of its TC but a bit of a poker, maybe about 3lb?

The fish only went 8lb but the fight was frantic and very short, along with the stiffish rod I had 50lb braid on the reel. Fun didn’t really come into it, I just wanted the beast landed safely and after an easy unhooking (single circle hook), I released it back into the water and only then did I feel a great sense pleasure.

Haven’t caught many since but have had a few Jacks whilst lure fishing for perch on a rod more like a strand of spaghetti and have to say that is a lot of fun.

Like everything else Mike, use your common sense and gut feeling, if you’re fishing for 20lb plus pike near a sunken tree you know you’ll need the right equipment but on an open Stillwater or canal then you can lighten up accordingly.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I'll be fishing for jacks( they are so cute) and adults up to 10lb at most! The water I plan to go to first isn't supposed to even have any!!!

I'm just curious and having bought carp rods I will be unlikely to ever use again, I don't want to buy a pike rod to join them!:)

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You won’t be thinking cute as you unhook your first pike thrashing around, strikes me the smaller they are, the fiestier they are!

mikench

Reaction score
John I have no illusions at all and feel a degree of trepidation about the whole thing! I have just ordered a set of long nose pliers!!!!

Jimk2

Reaction score
Firstly anyone fishing for pike should be prepared, You cant go out and say your only catching jacks. Then not have the right rod, net, braid, mono etc. for when something bigger comes along.
If your fishing for pike, respect the fish and buy the right equipment. A rod of 2.75tc minimum and you will still have fun catching jacks but have the backbone for something bigger.

john step

Reaction score
I agree its best to use rods designed for the job and a beefy one is needed for "10 ounce mackerel and a 4 ounce lead".
You also cannot guarantee only jacks.

However when the thread moved on to light deadbaits at close range I am sure a barbel rod would stop any pike. After all those using lure rods can catch big pike. Its just that they are not casting heavy weights.

Depends on the venue. I have 1.5tc rods that are fine for small canal like drains and 3 tc rods for the heavy stuff.

I have been piking for some time and do also have some hefty barbel under my belt. If a barbel rod can tame a barbel it will certainly tame a pike.

Jimk2

Reaction score
Firstly anyone fishing for pike should be prepared, You cant go out and say your only catching jacks. Then not have the right rod, net, braid, mono etc. for when something bigger comes along.
If your fishing for pike, respect the fish and buy the right equipment. A rod of 2.75tc minimum and you will still have fun catching jacks but have the backbone for something bigger.

To a certain degree yes, but there's a big difference in catching a few jacks and maybe low doubles. But you hook into a 15lb river pike or a 20lb+ wild Scottish pike believe you me your 1.5tc barbell rod will do nothing close in or not.

Jimk2

Reaction score
Here is my P3 Lochtamer in action, this was a very feisty river pike under 15lb. The rod is 3.5tc and was bent through it's curve.

The lightest rods I have a 3lb test curve by the way, and I target specimen pike.

IMG-1193.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Jim! I may buy a pike rod but initially I will use one of my existing rods! I have all appropriate Tackle in the form of reels, strong line( braid and mono) long nose pliers, quality forceps, un hooking mat large landing net and traces.

if I can handle a 25lb carp on a feeder rod I reckon I can handle a pike! One has to start somewhere and thank you for your concern!

Jimk2

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Jim! I may buy a pike rod but initially I will use one of my existing rods! I have all appropriate Tackle in the form of reels, strong line( braid and mono) long nose pliers, quality forceps, un hooking mat large landing net and traces.

if I can handle a 25lb carp on a feeder rod I reckon I can handle a pike! One has to start somewhere and thank you for your concern!

Best of luck mate.

Jimk2

Reaction score

Best of luck mate.