Supermarket baits

Beaker

Reaction score
Have always used vac pac deals from the tackle shop. Am I missing a trick and should I look at supermarket fish counters?

thecrow

Reaction score
Yes look at Morrisons fish counter, I dont know about other places other than our local Tesco where the fish look as if they have been on the slab longer than they were in the water.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Its always worth keeping an eye on supermarket fish counters but bait size can be an issue....its usually cheaper though. Occasionally my local Tesco gets perfect bait sized sardines in and if I'm lucky enough to catch them while very fresh I'll have a few.

Graham is right about freshness though. Your average shopper might not know what a fresh whatever looks like but I do and some examples on sale I wouldnt even use for bait let alone eat.

Jimk2

Reaction score
100% yes, morrisdons sardines collected early morning are very fresh, get them early and freeze them, preferably using a vac pack machine. Same goes for herring and sprats.
Last year Aldi did frozen sardines, they were blast frozen and glazed, I bought loads and caught a lot of nice fish on them.

steve2

Reaction score
Sardines are the easiest bait to get from supermarkets, Herrings and Mackerel are normally too big.
There seems to be a shortage of Herring around my way. I asked and they said what they were being offered at the fish market were too small. They didn’t reach supermarket standard size.

thecrow

Reaction score
Morrisons sometimes have line caught Mackerel that are just the right size for full or half baits, if you ask the fishmonger he will know when they are having them in.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Its always worth keeping an eye on supermarket fish counters but bait size can be an issue....its usually cheaper though. Occasionally my local Tesco gets perfect bait sized sardines in and if I'm lucky enough to catch them while very fresh I'll have a few.

Graham is right about freshness though. Your average shopper might not know what a fresh whatever looks like but I do and some examples on sale I wouldnt even use for bait let alone eat.

My wife used to work in a fishmongers years ago, the fish was collected from the market early every morning to sell that day. this was a small village shop, not a major brand name. She has commented if we have walked past a fish stall in for say Morrisons and you can smell the fish, it is not as fresh as they make it out to be, I have had wet keepnets that smelt fresher than some fish stalls. The freshest fish I have seen was when I was a youngster and we used to go to my Grans at Parkgate on the Wirral, This was when shops had open fronts to the pavement, On some occasions there were flatfish on the marble slabs in front of the shop still alive, It wouldn't be allowed today, I used to sit round the back of the shop with her peeling prawns, I think I was exploited, A few hundred prawns for an ice cream, The ice cream shop is still there to this day, and I am going back about 55 years.

Last edited:

David Gane

Reaction score
I certainly agree with the people who are suggesting Morrisons for sardines. When I buy them I ask the assistant to seal them in separate bags with four fish in each bag and they are always happy to do that. When I get them home I just then separate them still sealed in the bags and freeze them as they are. That way I can take the right number with me when I go fishing and there is no trouble separating them if they haven't thawed completely when I want to use them. The cost is usually less than £1 for four.

Beaker

Reaction score
Following on from the original post, I went out to see what was on offer at my local Morrisons. I was delighted to find fresh green/blue backed mackerel that were a perfect bait size and quality sardines. Hopefully the St.Johns pike will enjoy them too.