Perch Chat

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I have not done a lot of Perch fishing this season, two more heart attacks and a long lay off from driving has seen to that, but I did go on the 1st October, I managed 3 to just below 2lbs, my last move was a disaster, I missed the step, fell backward with the weight of the knapsack seat and knocked myself out ?

Managed to get home and called 111, they sent out an ambulance, but the paramedics said they did not think anything was broken, since then I'm restricted to short journeys and hospital appointments.

As for the Perch, my favourite method is small live baits, followed by prawns and worms on the float, walking is now not an option so I don't lure fish at all, but its a good method.

I had a chapter published in a Little Egret Press book, In Search of the Sergeants, which I would recommend as it covers a lot of methods from a lot of Perch fishermen and the artwork is brilliant.

Happy Perching.

Bob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blimey Bob glad your ok after your recent tumble, perching is one thing, falling off it another :) take care.

I’m off to look for that book.

Philip

Reaction score
I hope your feeling better Bob.

Interested that you rate prawns so highly & alongside worms.

Interested in your thoughts on that ...do you consider prawns to be the equal of worms ? ...& what sort do you fish ...

PS
Maybe a very light trolly would help you ?.. get the rucksack off your back and gives you something to hold onto.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Philip, thanks for your kind words, it was just a silly accident, I have a light trolley and was only moving to the next swim, what an idiot I was !!

Prawns are an underestimated bait and work really well on commercial waters, although you have to put up with every other species liking them as well, I use them at last knockings, the bites are always very positive and I but the big pink Prawns from the supermarket, a size 8 hook in the middle seems to work for me.

Bob

john step

Reaction score
Best wishes health wise Bob.

Regarding perch this year. Normally I can catch 2lb plus perch fairly regularly from two or three local waters but this Autumn I have struggled and my biggest is 1.5. The waters are very low and here in Lincs there has not been any significant rain unlike some other parts of the country.

I do wonder if there is still a lack of oxygen in the water that is affecting them.

Those I have caught have been very finicky on all baits including livebait and prawn. On one session I sat biteless until I hair mounted the prawn which then started to produce takes. On red maggot and worm they were just about hooked on the extremity of the mouth and not taken properly at all.

I suppose there are good years and not so good years.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
John,

Here in the south east it's dry, in fact its the driest place in the country and the Perch have been hard to hook on all baits, but as the light fades they have become increasingly more aggressive, but the carp have often taken the baits before the Perch, even live baits !!

Bob

john step

Reaction score
John,

Here in the south east it's dry, in fact its the driest place in the country and the Perch have been hard to hook on all baits, but as the light fades they have become increasingly more aggressive, but the carp have often taken the baits before the Perch, even live baits !!

Bob

Bob I have had two carp on livebaits this last fortnight.!

Hawb811 I chop up a few prawns at a time and catapult as loose feed. If the silvers are a nuisance I chop rudd or roach and do the same. You need a towel handy for the second option though :eek:mg:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I do more or less the same John, plus dead maggots, I intend to try small deadbaits when I get back on the water !!

Bob

john step

Reaction score
I do more or less the same John, plus dead maggots, I intend to try small deadbaits when I get back on the water !!

Bob

Best of luck with gettin g back but don't catch too many big uns. Give everyone else a chance.:wh

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
But will keep you updated on this thread if I catch anything worth reporting !!

Bob

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
017.jpg020.jpgThought you might be interested in this book, all sold out now so not advertising !!

theartist

Reaction score
Good stuff Bob those Little Egret books are always worth getting in and Wayne puts a lot of love in to them, getting both anglers and artists contribute. I was chuffed to see my work in Willow pitch III Esox edition. When Wayne gets in touch again for another book you want to contribute to (which I'm sure he will) mention me and i'll do a pencil portrait of you and one of your big perch, be a nice feature.

Rob

mikench

Reaction score
When fishing for perch with baits such as prawn or worm, what size hook is recommended? If using ,say, a worm kebab on the hair, what size hook would be best. I have the odd size 10 but nothing larger save for my lures and drop shot hooks!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
057.JPG
Good stuff Bob those Little Egret books are always worth getting in and Wayne puts a lot of love in to them, getting both anglers and artists contribute. I was chuffed to see my work in Willow pitch III Esox edition. When Wayne gets in touch again for another book you want to contribute to (which I'm sure he will) mention me and i'll do a pencil portrait of you and one of your big perch, be a nice feature.

Rob
Rob, There's a Chub book coming up, a pencil drawing would be great !!

9lbs of Chub !!

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I use the biggest hooks I can get away with, usually 8s, but for lives I use 6s !!

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
There are whoppers and whoppers & thats a real whopper Bob. amazing fish.

I do wonder if all the big ones have been caught. It would be nice to think that maybe places like the navigation could still hold a surprise.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Philip,

There is a lot of water that does not get fished, ERDE, the Relief Channel at places like above the North Lagoon and above Landridge, the section below Hooks Marsh and areas above Enfield Lock, who knows what they might hold, also small side streams that may hold some massive fish, I saw a monster chub, hooked and lost at the net in a Stort side stream, bigger than my chub !!
Plus there are lakes that don't see a lot of fishing that have populations of big chub, Hooks Marsh and the 70 Acre, Roydon Mills, the Lagoons, but it would take a very dedicated angler to target these pits. I once photographed a 8lb Plus Chub for a Carp angler fishing into the sluice on the North Lagoon.

Bob

Philip

Reaction score
Philip,

There is a lot of water that does not get fished, ERDE, the Relief Channel at places like above the North Lagoon and above Landridge, the section below Hooks Marsh and areas above Enfield Lock, who knows what they might hold, also small side streams that may hold some massive fish, I saw a monster chub, hooked and lost at the net in a Stort side stream, bigger than my chub !!
Plus there are lakes that don't see a lot of fishing that have populations of big chub, Hooks Marsh and the 70 Acre, Roydon Mills, the Lagoons, but it would take a very dedicated angler to target these pits. I once photographed a 8lb Plus Chub for a Carp angler fishing into the sluice on the North Lagoon.

Bob

You would know better than most Bob. I love the stories and the air of mystery of places like that.

I bet your comments get a few people taking a look at the Stort ! :)

Thing is it does not need to be little fished venues either. I heard a good story once about a hard fished bit of the Kennet, the then TWA netted it and had two chub one just under and one just over the record of the time that were never caught on rod and line.

I wonder how many people have monsters on their door step but just don’t realize it.