Best traveling Lure/spinning rod /bait caster

rains

Reaction score
Hi all can anyone recommend the best one been awhile since i bought any rods and want something compact 6ft to 8ft in 4 to 5 sections also what are the differences between a normal reel and a bait caster thanks in advance

can any recommend a good online retailers aswell

rains

Reaction score
View attachment 6057

baitcast
View attachment 6058

Baitcast reels need a bit of getting used to. The centrifugal brake must be set to the weight of the
lure: too little and the spool overwinds resulting in a big tangle aka a bird's nest; too much tightening and
the cast is too short. Adjustments must be made casting into a wind or even with the wind. The line drag is
adjusted with the star drag is just under the handle.

Spinning reels come in different sizes / diameter spools. The drag is typically a knob in the reel of the reel.
It is far easier to cast without any adjusting of a centrifugal brake that only baitcast reels have.

Spincast reels are nothing more than spinning reels with a cover over the spool. They have come a long way
since early designs and I have no problem fighting big fish as long as the drag is set with a dial at the top of the
reel.

I use all three depending on the water and species fished for and choose rod actions depending on lure types and line test.
Spincast reels are a bit more of a challenge when a 7 lb fish is on the line, but fine for panfish and fish 1 lb. or less.
Baitcast reels are my choice for heavier 3/8 oz or heavier lures and line test over 15 lb.

My choice of line for any of the reel type is braid, though braided line isn't suited for some spincast reels when lures 1/16 oz
or lighter are cast.

For live bait fishing, spinning would be my choice.

As far as rods go, you most might go with a medium action rod. Telescoping rods are becoming more popular and collapse down
to 1/4 of their length. Amazon and Ebay would be good places search. My fishing pal likes the one he bought this past year.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks Buddy do the triggers on rods make much of a difference or are they just their for a better grip

mikench

Reaction score
Triggers warrant a bait caster reel! They do require a lot of practice!!!

Spoon minnow I guess you are based in the states !This official list of fish needs some editing!!

Freshwater Fish of America

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
As a baitcaster sits on top of the rod the eyes are also on the top! Be wary some rods only suit a baitcaster/ multiplier!!

rains

Reaction score
Thanks for the information people i like the look of the savage gear rod just unsure whether or not to try a baitcaster reel used a normal reel for years can anyone recommend i good online fishing store thanks again all also is their any difference between the xlnt2 and xlnt3

David Gane

Reaction score
I use a baitcaster setup from time to time. I have a Savage Gear Butch Light rod (which I think is the xlnt2) and a Shimano Caius 201 reel. Like you, I was keen to try and become proficient in the use of a new technique and I have no regrets about doing so. I'd say I am reasonably proficient and as others have said, have found the key to be the "educated thumb" technique. On the other hand, I also have to say that I don't think the setup has added a great deal to my fishing. There is nothing I can't do with my other conventional spinning rods that I can do with the baitcaster. I had hoped that it might help me develop a flatter cast so that when fishing from a boat I could flick lures further under overhanging trees, but in honesty I don't think it has. I can certainly cast further with a conventional rod and I am at least as accurate with a conventional rod as I am with a baitcaster.

When boat fishing I take several slightly different lure rods with me, all set up for a quick change according to circumstances. The baitcaster rod is always there and I do use it from time to time, but it's not my favourite and it doesn't get a huge amount of use.

Last edited:

JohnSLocker

Reaction score
If factoring in cost/value for money is high on your list then I can highly recommend the Fladen warbird travel rod rated 10-40g Ive taken mine all over the world and fished bait and lure to great effect. I think it is a fantastic piece of kit.

JohnSLocker

Reaction score
Nice review. Quite a few segments to assemble.

As with any travel rod, one of the setbacks is also one of the main benefits. I can say from experience that this rod can fit in hand luggage and weighs next to nothing. The spigots will fail eventually but so far they are holding up perfectly after 100+ uses. Great value for money IMO

bullet

Reaction score
I'd always go for a 4 piece, 9 ft or less 4 pieces will fit diagonally in a lrge suitcase including their tube. They fit in the boot of a car when taken down in the middle just like a two piece, and you're not messing around with unequal sections of rod that don't fit or taking the whole lot down.

Philip

Reaction score
I took a punt on an Abu Diplomat rod earlier this year and quite like it. They do a few different lengths/casting weights. I got the longest/heaviest version which off the top of my head is 11 foot 6 inches with a 15-40g casting weight. It breaks into 5 peices that will fit diagonally into a large suitcase...allot of similar rods wont so be warned !

It was actually a more stepped up rod than I was expecting, being closer to a light Carp rod than an Avon rod. I wish it had smaller / lower profile double or triple legged rings rings but that aside it strikes me as a very good all round travel rod that will cover allot of different situations. Reasonable price too.

As I say they do various lengths/casting weights.

Last edited:

rains

Reaction score
Thanks all for the infomtion looks at the savegear one anyone know the difference between the xlnt2 and xlnt3

Finzky

Reaction score
I bought for my holidays Shimano Catana telescopic rod, sureley it won`t last heavy usage, but for time to time fishing is absolutley superb, pair it with gunky 2500 reel.