Bait flags

mikench

Reaction score
How many of you dead bait fisherman routinely use bait flags on one of the treble hooks ie the one with a barb!

Are any better than others ?

john step

Reaction score
I never have got around to trying them. I think the theory is they attract being red. I try to use pop up deads when possible which I think are more visible. The pop up balls are red come to think of it!
Maybe others have found them useful. If so I may give them a go?

terry m

Reaction score
Use them for lip hookedbaits to prevent the bai5 from coming off. Live or dead. They work well as a retainer. Occasionally I may stick one 9n a treble, but not sure that it significantly increases catch rates.

flightliner

Reaction score
Years ago I fished a gravel pit on a syndicate ticket . Two rods out with deadbaits-- nothing!
My partner dipped his baits head only in a red dye and had two runs producing two nice double figure pike.
Not red retainers but red all the same .
Co incidence was it was the first Red Nose Day .
I never bothere to follow it up with any trial of my own but maybe something in the red colour side of things.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments! I watched a vid about a deep hooked pike and the angler stated he always put a flag on the barbed prong of the trebles so that it could be readily identified as such when removing the hooks after cutting them!

john step

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments! I watched a vid about a deep hooked pike and the angler stated he always put a flag on the barbed prong of the trebles so that it could be readily identified as such when removing the hooks after cutting them!

Thats actually a good point. I do try to avoid that though!!

daniel121

Reaction score
I honestly didn't know what a bait flag was previous to this thread

mikench

Reaction score
I am honestly enjoying reading up on Pike even if i never catch one! I have ordered some bait tags, some long nosed pliers, cutters and forceps and a pike rod so i will have all the gear but no idea!

I am also rereading the book by Neville Fickling kindly recommended by John Step!

Jimk2

Reaction score
There's 2 reasons why I use a bait flag, 1 when using live baits I put the flag over the barb to keep the fish on the top hook, 2 when I'm using semi barbed traces to identify the barb in which to put into the dead bait. They don't have to be fancy, I've used elastic band pieces before.