Early mornings

Andy M

Reaction score
In winter is it worth getting to your chosen venue at or just before dawn when fishing for pike with deadbaits or lures? Any difference between rivers and still waters? I tend not to bother but feel I might be missing some of the action.

Jimk2

Reaction score
Dusk and dawn can be prolific for pike feeding spells. Longer time on the bank the better to give yourself the time on the bank to find the feeding spells on your venue as all are different.
A couple of the nice fish I caught in October were 10.30am. Became a bit of a joke between friends as this was a magic time for me.

flightliner

Reaction score
Definitely worth the effort, in a morning half light a run can often be instantaneous.
Just take care in really cold freezing weather however as I once turned up on a Lincs drain and after setting up my gear I cast out in the dark and heard a clunk followed by a tinkle tinkle tinkle as my baited rig shot across the ice -- I wasn't the only one that morning either!

john step

Reaction score
Definitely worth the effort, in a morning half light a run can often be instantaneous.
Just take care in really cold freezing weather however as I once turned up on a Lincs drain and after setting up my gear I cast out in the dark and heard a clunk followed by a tinkle tinkle tinkle as my baited rig shot across the ice -- I wasn't the only one that morning either!

Yes a familiar upcock. I have found clear parts of the water only to find the wind change and sheet ice drift across in front.

I much prefer dusk to getting up and out in the cold of a morning. That way its am improving prospect rather than the opposite especially when the water is the colour of gin.

naxian62

Reaction score
Absolutely worth the effort. I've worked out that the beginning of the season, now, early mornings are good for a couple of fish. Then later on going into Feb. dusk seems to be the better time.
This is on my local pikery. Of course could be completely opposite for the next water, just gotta put the time in.

Philip

Reaction score
Agree with the others ...certainly worth the effort. Same for Perch ...light levels play a big part. Yes Predators can be caught at anytime including hot bright sunshine but given the choice I would always pick early or late over any other.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
I find that even if the fishing isn't that great when you have made the effort to get out at first light, just being out as the sun slowly rises, and you get to see birds like herons, a few fieldfare this morning, song thrushes, a glimpse of a fox one morning, it's all way better than lounging in bed :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I never go fishing early morning in cold weather, and that goes for any species, unless i've travelled somewhere for a full days fishing.
I always wait until the temp's have risen which is usually the latter end of the afternoon. Even a couple of degrees increase makes a massive difference to fish activity.....imo.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Over the years I have had lots of Pike at just before and just after first light and because I have to travel on the biggest Car Park (M25) in Britain, its worth starting out early to get to some decent Pike Fishing !!

Bob

Finzky

Reaction score
If you want to fish with spinning then:

Personally me during winter cold and dark periods trying to be completely set up and ready for action before sun comes up and start to patrol swims/shore with first sun. Bear in your mind to wear really appropriate clothing otherwise you will give up in 30 min time supported by your nagging frozen fingers. I`m trying to get most of the time what I can and then just driving back home. During the spring/summer/autumn if I`m having day off I`m tended to be on local waters after 5am until 9ish maybe 10am max and then back around 6PM +/- until 10pm. I never fish for deadbaite so still have to figure out that...