Traditional perch float

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Try on ebay. Search fro Perch or Grayling bobbers. Cut through the Chinese rubbish and other cr@p and you may find some nice hand made ones. Dear though!!!
If you have an electric drill, they're fairly easy to make. Mine are made from cork I find on the bank and the stems are simply barbecue sticks. These two aren't very well finished, but they would do the job.

bobbers.jpg

The better ones are in my tackle boxes.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Try on ebay. Search fro Perch or Grayling bobbers. Cut through the Chinese rubbish and other cr@p and you may find some nice hand made ones. Dear though!!!
If you have an electric drill, they're fairly easy to make. Mine are made from cork I find on the bank and the stems are simply barbecue sticks. These two aren't very well finished, but they would do the job.

View attachment 6273

The better ones are in my tackle boxes.

Thanks, I don't have the patience to make my own so will likely buy a couple. Hey, if they do the job that's the main thing!

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
A lot depends on how much you want to spend, and the choices are legion . . . .

I have a few of the floats made by Andrew and if you like this sort of thing then you cannot do better, IMHO.

Home | Lure Of The Float

I don't mind up to around £10 a float, they do look great but that's not far off the cost of a new reel! I'll keep having a scout about online :0)

john step

Reaction score
IAN LEWIS FLOATS do some nice ones but at a cost of about £5 when I last looked.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ste Bink did make a propper job of his floats, i'm sure there would be a lot of people buy them from him if he'd started selling them!

stillwater blue

Reaction score
It might not be what you're looking for but drennan make a sort of traditional perch bob

bobbers-main.jpg

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Does anyone have accurate physical dimensions necessary to make a range of these floats? I'm aware people will see them in a slightly different way dimensionally, but some idea of scale would be of help - if you're prepared to give away such info!

More than anything it is the diameter of the 'bob' against the overall length of the float, I need....

Thanks

ps My apologies to the OP for cutting across his thread!

john step

Reaction score
Does anyone have accurate physical dimensions necessary to make a range of these floats? I'm aware people will see them in a slightly different way dimensionally, but some idea of scale would be of help - if you're prepared to give away such info!

More than anything it is the diameter of the 'bob' against the overall length of the float, I need....

Thanks

ps My apologies to the OP for cutting across his thread!

Thats a new slant on these floats. I have never considered the ratios of stem to diameter before. As a philistine I would guess that as long as the stem looks right to give balance it would be right. Those Drennan ones above would seem a good example.
I think the tip part is just dressing to make it look right and has no real practical use as a sight enabler as the bob part is big enough to see anyway.
Just my take, others will know better.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
These are the dimensions of a Drennan 2 swan one - 11cms long of which the tip is 1.7cms. The bob is 2.5cms long and the width is 1.6cms, the widest part of the bob being 0.6cms from the top of the bob.

These figures don't mean anything to me, I make mine by eye. suits me.

I connected with these on the GUC as a kid and it was fascinating watching as they bobbed along with a bite, or suddenly disappearing with giant ripples coming out. We need more big perch!

Edit bit: Here's two others that I do use, the one on the left more so. The one on the right we used to call a roach float, but for the lift of me I can't think why. Wagglers are much better on stillwaters and stick on rivers.

P1280006.JPG

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score