Single hook spinners

Mrnab

Reaction score
Been looking around for them but they seem to be really hard to find, the mepps spinflex is really the only one i've come up with. Is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Mrnab

Reaction score
I've done simple changes on spoons before because they have split rings. But is it that simple on spinners such as mepps?

Another Dave

Reaction score
You'll need to cut through the eye of the treble to get it off. The singles are 'open eye' so they go on easy then you close the eye with pliers.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
I just got some of the VMC barbless, open eye type singles to replace some trebles on a few small spoons and spinners, worth noting if you decide on this type that their sizing is a bit big, their no6 is more like a no4.
EDIT..
I also found some split rings on Ebay from a seller called lurefactors that are only 4mm inner diameter and a finer wire than most, which allowed me to fit some standard (ie not a huge eye) size 6 barbless, eyed, single hooks which I had, to small spinners. they are strong enough to straighten the hook in a pull test. a bit fiddly to fit, and I know perch and jack pike will cope with a bigger hook, but I didn't want to risk the hook point of a bigger hook getting close to a greedy smaller fishes eye when hooked, which can happen. just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Finzky

Reaction score
single hooks.jpg
treble tools.jpg

I found these daiwa single lure hooks perfect and they come in different sizes... You will need to sacrifice trebles and cut them with wire cutters and bend the eye so you can remove it, then you need to take ring and add it any lure - I`m using rapala ring splitters, lure holder, long nose pliers and lot of patience as in the beginning ring will take a **** out of you and it will bend, then you can open it too much and it will stay akward etc... just practice.

From my own experience it`s good to change to singles on spinners because pike is sees spinner spaller than it`s actually is and you can end up with treble hooked deep in the throat and that is no no no no nooooo... on my lures I`m changing back (tail) hooks to singles to avoid the same mentioned before.

Single hooks can handle the fish the same as trebles, but with less harm, never had problem to nett or unhook the fish...

Good luck...