Ultralight vs dropshot vs LRF Rod

Uncle_Greg

Reaction score
Hi All!
Long time guest, first time user :)

I'd dive straight in: what is a "generic" difference between rods in title? To make matters easier let's not talk about difference between manufacturers, just types of rods: same manufacturer, similar length, similar casting weight. Is it profile, tip stiffness, other factors that determine a difference between UL, LRF and dropshot rod?

Why there is specially designed rod for dropshot?
If I use ultralight or LRF rod for dropshotting am I gonna be at a disadvantage?
Is dropshot rod "not good" for other types of ultralight fishing?

I can see people using all sorts of rods on forums and youtube, but I coudn't find any background to: why do we have so many types of ultralight rods?

Thanks in advance! ?

Uncle_Greg

Reaction score
No, you'll be fine. A lot of it is hype and trying to get people to buy more rods.

Welcome to FM!

I'm not suggesting that I'm looking for a dropshot rod btw... I have a 3-14g Shimano rod that I use for my UL fishing but it is through action with soft tip and I very much don't like it. So looking for other options, hence the question ;)

stillwater blue

Reaction score
An ultra light rod has a casting weight of less than 10g, they come in any action. Through action rods tend to be better with crankbaits and spinners where as a faster action make better twitching and jigging rods.

A drop shot rod has a fast action with a soft sensitive tip.

barbelboi

Reaction score
When I first started dropshotting, some years ago before it gained popularity here and all the gear arrived, I used a light quiver tip rod that worked OK.

Keith M

Reaction score
A drop shot rod has a fast action with a soft sensitive tip.

Thats because in dropshotting it’s a lot easier to install enticing movement in your lure with just a very small movement of the tip and without needing to wind it in; plus you can see and feel the more delicate bites that Perch sometimes give on a stationary or near stationary lure as opposed to when you are normal lure fishing with a spinning rod.

IMO You can dropshot with a spinning rod no problem, you don’t necessarily need to buy a dropshot rod to dropshot, but it’s just a little easier to present a near-stationary lure effectively and see and feel the more delicate bites with a dropshot rod and they are not that expensive to buy either.

Keith

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Ok, so where does LRF rod fit in?
Light Rock Fishing (LRF) is just a style of fishing in which anglers use very small hooks and lures to catch mini species which are found around the British Isles (although larger species may be caught as well).

So I would think that for LRF styles you could use both light spinning rods or dropshot rods, it would depend on where you are fishing and maybe what species you are hoping to catch.

Keith

Last edited:

Uncle_Greg

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input. Dropshotting is not really my "to go" way of fishing, so I think I might be better off with a UL spin rod with fast action. Might cover me for a variety of styles shall I need it ;)

spoonminnow

Reaction score
Is it profile, tip stiffness, other factors that determine a difference between UL, LRF and dropshot rod?

No manufacture rod classification is as descriptive as what the rod feels like in your hand. Different expected size fish used with different lures types and weights required specific rod actions and the right line. Light action rods are fine if you have the time to play large fish such as this 7 lb catfish.
L9fioTF.jpg

But for that size fish I would stick with a medium action rod where the bend starts at 1/3 down from the tip. Most of my fishing uses light lures and 8# test braid. My light action rods work well casting light lures - 1/16 oz - 1/8 oz. and small soft plastic lures - some as long as 5" such as this Kut Tail worm in a 1/32 oz jig:
WWeOXnV.jpg
duP4xZc.jpg

The bend of the rod IMO determines what I can cast and catch. Too wimpy - no go same as too stiff (hvy action).
Hopefully you have a fishing section in a store or bait shop that sells rods so as to bend the rods to see the right action for your fishing.

Uncle_Greg

Reaction score
Thanks for that spoonminnow. I'm going to Angling Show in a few days in Manchester, I'm planning to ask many questions and test lots of rods :)

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Thanks for that spoonminnow. I'm going to Angling Show in a few days in Manchester, I'm planning to ask many questions and test lots of rods :)

The best way to buy rods is to try, IME casting weights and action are always as manufacturers describe.

Uncle_Greg

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger last night and got myself a Savage Gear Parabellum 0-7g UL rod. This was on my list to try anyway, I found one second hand and cheap close by, couldn't resist... :p

Finzky

Reaction score
Sorry but I really hate when somebody is using lip grip devices - In my opinion it`s last item to use before priest... (if you are not at sea).

You should stick to 2.1 m 3-13g or 1-9g any rod and it will cover for you LRF or Drop shotting, credit to you you want to dig deep, but somebody already said it`s just to encourage you to buy more rods... when you will choose you next rod just make sure it`s "spinning" one... - job done.