Perch & Jack Spinner suggestions, please

Mixin123

Reaction score
I've just bought a couple of Mepps Aglia long size #0, and also a Mepps Winner size #00 as I'm wanting to try for Perch & small Pike on my local canal.

Can anyone please recommend some other spinners that are good for the job, and also, what's the best size to use?

Many thanks.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m no expert at spinning but I have caught a fair number of Perch from the canal on tiny Mepps spinners of around an inch and a half in length (including the hook), and I also have a few tiny plugs of around the same size which I’ve also bought over the years however the tiny Mepps spinners have caught me the most Perch.

I store my tiny lures in a couple of plastic Fly containers.

I will try to post pictures of my tiny lures for Perch when I get home from my weekend away.

I keep meaning to give the small rubber lures a go but I haven’t tried them yet (except for when I’ve tried dropshotting).

Keith

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Try Ondex spinners in all sizes. Caught plenty of perch on big lures and livebaits over the years when fishing for pike.
Try Ebay plenty of 2nd hand lures on there.

flightliner

Reaction score
Try the 2" yellow and red "Manns" curly tail grubs, deadly for Perch.
Also well worth considering are the silvery coloured twin tails if its canal work-- try bouncing them along the bottom by lifting and dropping your rod , these did some seriously big perch on some of the wider and deeper canals in Yorkshire some thirteen years ago - ( all poor by comparison these days).
Big S and little S work well particularly with pike and if you can come across any of the old Fox 4" jointed lures from several years ago don't miss the chance of buying a few and to let me know where you found them.
Good luck.

terry m

Reaction score
Mepps No5 (the large size) are hard to beat for perch, but also try the big garish spinnerbaits. The6 look most peculiar, but they work.

john step

Reaction score
I have had a few sessions this last year on the small soft lures with a jig head. I like the idea that the hook is on top and less likely to snag. The perch seem to love them.

As mentioned by flightliner BIG S and Small S by Shakespere are good. They are floaters that swim down when retrieved. Very useful for shallow canals. There are other makes of shallow divers but these are the lowest prices.
I rate the floating divers a lot as you can slow the retrieve right down when needed and they still work.
They are ideal for retrieving over the top of bottom weed without getting fouled up.

Have a look at AGM LURES as recommended to me. They have an extensive range. They do lures and those soft plastic bugs with a wobbly tail.

Last edited:

David Gane

Reaction score
I like the Savage Gear size 3 Mepps style spinners. I seem to do best with either the silver ones with red spots or solid fluorescent green. I also find that the copper coloured ones do well in bright sunlight.

Finzky

Reaction score
PERCHPERCHPERCH.jpg

This is what you need. My favorite so far been fox snax lures with fox hooks - depends how heavy you need them - I`m using 5g as standart, other lures are super light like salmo or wobart very good as well.

P.S - on small fox snax I had around 4ish lbs pike...

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
If I might give a shout to the very old design of Abu Reflex lures. I have one that must be over 50 years old now, no paint left on it, just brass and yet it still catches. I have another Abu one just as old, can't remember it's name, but no longer made unfortunately. Think also of small spoons like Abu's Lill-Öringen.

Some of the best though are spinnerbaits and even better for perch with willow blades as opposed to Colorado blades, just my preference. It's amazing how much the perch loves these as well as jacks.
rs.php