Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Frozen deadbaits

I could and should have fished for pike today but i had 1.5 pints of maggots and a pint of casters to use up. That's my excuse anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I could and should have fished for pike today but i had 1.5 pints of maggots and a pint of casters to use up. That's my excuse anyway.
    I have finished with them for now. They are gathering to spawn on my local lake. I shall leave them be.

Take them frozen, keep them frozen and cast them frozen. The pike don’t mind.
    Most soft baits like sardines are much better cast frozen, they quickly thaw and let out juices.
    I’ve had pike take plenty frozen baits very quickly, even on the drop.

I take frozen bait and by the time I travel to swim it's partially defrosted or if not place bait in landing net and place them in swim

Yes what I find to keep sardeen on tràce is do a couple wraps of white wool?

For zander, pike and perch indifferently, I have used sprat. Smelt works fantastic on pike but is delicate.

I have found that sprat must be bought as fresh as possible and then frozen asap.
    As I normally went fishing in the morning, I unfrost them in the evening, in the fridge. In the morning, I would place them in a cool bag.

On wobbling deadbait, sprat works far better unfrozen because of the fish movement and light reflection, but it needs to be kept "solid" enough. Having them slowly getting back to about 5º ensures they keep hard enough, so they can be rigged and cast. In my case on wobbling deadbait, I can do with one single sprat during a whole hour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12