Frozen deadbaits

mikench

Reaction score
I have bought a selection of deadbaits, sprats, smelt and joey mackerel but have yet to use them! That day is overdue but likely any day now.

My question is should they be defrosted first or taken to the bank and used frozen or near thereto?

mikench

Reaction score
I agree but a few " pike anglers" on another forum suggest this! I suspect they go with frozen bait which will be partially defrosted by the time it's hooked! Ah well I'll soon know.:rolleyes:

john step

Reaction score
I always take them frozen in an insulated container and normally just have 3 already softening up on route. With those freezer blocks in the bait container the unused ones stay OK for the next trip once taken home and put back in the bait freezer.
When needing a bait replacement on the bank I can use a spare which is defrosting in a poly bag of lake water or the landing net in the margins.

PS why are you on your side in the photo? Lying down on the job?:wh

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Pete. I have no idea why the pic is on its side. It wasn't the weight of the fish!!:rolleyes:

Fixed it!

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When me and me pals used to do a bit of pikeing we always took the baits frozen and if possible keep them in a cooler bag. They don't ake long to get soft enough to get your hooks in them.

steve2

Reaction score
All my baits are taken frozen those that defrost also go back in the freezer when I get home

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Sometimes it's that cold that after fixing baits to the traces I put my hands in the cool bag to warm them up.

mikench

Reaction score
I could and should have fished for pike today but i had 1.5 pints of maggots and a pint of casters to use up. That's my excuse anyway.

john step

Reaction score
I could and should have fished for pike today but i had 1.5 pints of maggots and a pint of casters to use up. That's my excuse anyway.

I have finished with them for now. They are gathering to spawn on my local lake. I shall leave them be.

Jimk2

Reaction score
Take them frozen, keep them frozen and cast them frozen. The pike don’t mind.
Most soft baits like sardines are much better cast frozen, they quickly thaw and let out juices.
I’ve had pike take plenty frozen baits very quickly, even on the drop.

Perch@2

Reaction score
I take frozen bait and by the time I travel to swim it's partially defrosted or if not place bait in landing net and place them in swim :cool:

Perch@2

Reaction score
Yes what I find to keep sardeen on tràce is do a couple wraps of white wool?

sylvanillo

Reaction score
For zander, pike and perch indifferently, I have used sprat. Smelt works fantastic on pike but is delicate.

I have found that sprat must be bought as fresh as possible and then frozen asap.
As I normally went fishing in the morning, I unfrost them in the evening, in the fridge. In the morning, I would place them in a cool bag.

On wobbling deadbait, sprat works far better unfrozen because of the fish movement and light reflection, but it needs to be kept "solid" enough. Having them slowly getting back to about 5º ensures they keep hard enough, so they can be rigged and cast. In my case on wobbling deadbait, I can do with one single sprat during a whole hour.