Replacing trebles with singles

Mrnab

Reaction score
Hi, recently bought some 7cm hard lures which come with 2 treble hooks on, I'm just wondering if anyone could help me finding out a single hook replacement size, thanks.

Another Dave

Reaction score

waldi

Reaction score
I've been using this conversion chart for the hooks on my UL lures:

hook conversion.jpg

I find with the smallest hardbaits (plugs) it can have a pronounced negative effect on the action.

Before you invest too much money try it on one or two first would be my advice.

Jon

Mrnab

Reaction score
Thanks for the table, i'll have to keep that for future reference, and yea i've got some of those hooks from agm on my sea lures.

Another Dave

Reaction score
I've been using this conversion chart for the hooks on my UL lures:

View attachment 6538

I find with the smallest hardbaits (plugs) it can have a pronounced negative effect on the action.

Before you invest too much money try it on one or two first would be my advice.

Jon

Thanks for that. Do you bother replacing the belly hook (if there is one) or do you just leave it blank?

waldi

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Do you bother replacing the belly hook (if there is one) or do you just leave it blank?

I always replace the belly and tail (although not sure if I recall ever having a fish on the single belly hook :confused:)

As stated earlier: especially with UL/L plugs or surface lures it pays to use single hooks of a weight simililar to the trebles your replacing. Not too fine a guage wire.

Too little weight and many lures just don't have a good action.

Jon.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I'm fishing Flying Cs for salmon on the Wye. I was going to change the trebles for singles but it's a lot of falffing about when you can get the same effect by just using some heavy duty wire cutters to snip two hooks off the treble. I expect that's not very purist though ;)

steve2

Reaction score
I have never found a need to change from trebles to singles. Most of my predator fishing whether lure or deadbait is done using trebles.
Why change and please don't say fish wellfare?

waldi

Reaction score
I have never found a need to change from trebles to singles. Most of my predator fishing whether lure or deadbait is done using trebles.
Why change and please don't say fish wellfare?

I must admit i've pretty much given up. Too many missed takes.
The only thing i'm not too keen on are big lures with 3 sets of hooks. I've had a couple of fish that have had a flying hook in the head (one even in they eye)

I found that pretty awful :eek:mg:

Jon.

Krang

Reaction score
There's a group of match anglers that frequent my favourite stretch of a local river who are always on about this. At first I just thanked them for their advice and got on with what I was doing. But their attitude has since started to irk me. They seem to think that anyone who leaves their hand tuned Rapala as it was intended to be must be some sort of novice, to be patronised and lectured until they acknowledge the superior expertise of cliques of match anglers.