Best Perch Live bait rig ?

shane99

Reaction score
Ray/Phillip

I like the idea of using an alarm for bite indication as we all get distracted & take our eyes off the float for whatever
reason and as you know thats when you get a take. I get & understand the sunken float set up now (thanks) but I am slightly struggling to see how the bite alarm comes into to this set up, to me there is too much 'slack' between the bait & the alarm. I am always concerned about deep hooking. The Bob Roberts set up I get as its more or less direct to the alarm. You guys obviously use this set up successfully so the 'slack' produced by the float doesnt affect the indication at the alarm then ?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
On rivers I have the float running freely on the line. This takes up the slack and I don’t use a bobbin. The float is visible and dances around as the live bait gets agitated before the take. Takes are usually quite savage with live baits and tend to be screamers. I have an adjustable angle adaptor under the alarm to ensure the alarm is 90 degrees to the rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Ray/Phillip
I like the idea of using an alarm for bite indication as we all get distracted & take our eyes off the float for whatever
reason and as you know thats when you get a take. I get & understand the sunken float set up now (thanks) but I am slightly struggling to see how the bite alarm comes into to this set up, to me there is too much 'slack' between the bait & the alarm. I am always concerned about deep hooking. The Bob Roberts set up I get as its more or less direct to the alarm. You guys obviously use this set up successfully so the 'slack' produced by the float doesnt affect the indication at the alarm then ?

As long as you dont fish it ridiculously slack it wont be a problem. The float is just holding the line at an angle. Of course there is more slack than when fishing direct below the rod top but it will still indicate on a bobbin or drop off at the rod. There will always be a balance to find between the size of the float and the weight of the indicator at the rod.

The way I do it is to tighten up till I feel the lead but then I actually let a little slack back out. The reason for this is because if you fish it too tight you are basically pulling the float down and making it keel towards the rod. This will impact the depth the bait is fishing it. Thats why I let a bit of slack back out to allow the float to rise to the correct depth. I then put on an indicator heavy enough to keep everything tight but not pull the float or lead out of position.

Its a very proven rig so I think think you dont need to worry too much. If your still concerned about deep hooking just make that part of the consideration when you strike..strike a bit earlier still.