barbel/zander

mvwales

Reaction score
any body ever used a 2.25lb barbel rod for Zander fishing and got any thoughts

nottskev

Reaction score
I've never used a 2.25lb barbel rod for barbel, which fight like demons. The heaviest rod I use, near snags, is 2lb. I've not caught many zander, but the largest - admittedly only 6lb - was caught accidentally on light pole gear (it took a single caster) from the T+M and came in like a bream, after scuttling around for a few seconds. I'd guess a lighter rod would do.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Choose your rod with your bait as much in mind as the fish. How do you plan to fish for the Zander? If you are Spinning then that rod would be far from my choice, dead or live bait and we might be talking, it also depends as much on the rods action and length as the T/C.

If I was on a canal for Zander and I was using Medium dead or live bait, I would be fairly happy with a 10’-12’ through auctioned rod in 1.75-2.25lb T/C

Reaction score
If I am fishing the middle/tidal trent for barbel or zander I usually use 2.2lb Korum rods. You may need to cast feeders of up to 8oz and big leads for the zds depending on river conditions. I have used 1.75lb rods during summer conditions and they are perfectly capable of taming double figure specimens of both species. The only drawback being if you pick up a big pike, with a 1.75lb rod you would be seriously under gunned.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Hi MVW,
At the time I was fishing for zander (a lot, on the Oxford canal in the north), I mainly relied on wobbling dead bait on my own rigs which are based on the classical drachkovitch rig. I used 2 rods:
- Speedmaster 270 XH - medium fast. Light, sensitive, well balanced. Shimano changes it every year, the carbon may be updated or the handle length may change a bit, anyway it remains the same good rod. It's very versatile and will be equally suitable for lures. Keeping in mind it is also my main rod for pike with Zam-Zs, Zalts, Buster jerk etc.
- Shogun PMM 240. Light, sensitive to the extreme, extremely well balanced. Primarily a wobbling deadbait rod. You would feel a zander farting 3 feet away from your bait. I have had tons of zander and perch, as well as pike. Definitely recommend it. Now, it's certainly not the best rod outside of wobbling deadbait. The tip, even in the PMM range which is softer than the PM range, is too sensitive when using a lure that produces much vibration. I have tried. When I was back home my teeth were still vibrating.

Have a good day!