Greys Prowla wire

Stalker

Reaction score
I've been offered a joblot of ex shop stock Greys Prowla trace wire in various strengths. It's not cheap, but for the amount of wire on offer (50 spools of the stuff) and the price asked for it it's an absolute steal and would keep me in trace wire for several years, probably decades, to come.

Now, I've never used this wire having always used Drennan and Caliber Wonder Wire without issue, so I'm just wondering if any of you have previous experience with it and, if so, is it any good?

Note I'm not asking if it's better than Drennan's wires, just whether or not it's worth the bung?

Cheers now

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I have a spool in my hand right now.

Does it work? well, yes it does work, but it's not coated. I think I've only made 1 or 2 traces from it. It's 0.36mm diameter compared with Drennan, which is coated and slightly stronger if you believe that, at 0.41mm. If you don't mind whether it's coated or not get it, but I would far prefer the Drennan.

steve2

Reaction score
I don't believe there is much if any difference between any wires most I would suggest comes form the same supplier.
If the wire is of the strength you use buy it but don’t buy it just because it’s cheap.

Stalker

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Jeff - doesn't really bother me that it's not coated, so it's not a decider either way.

steve2 - as I said, it's not cheap in the grand scheme of things (£80 for the lot, although I'm going to be cheeky and try to knock him down to £75 as I don't think anyone else is interested), but if it's okay stuff then £1.50/£1.60 per spool is a no-brainer.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
doesn't really bother me that it's not coated, so it's not a decider either way.
Fair enough, it's just that most of my stuff is used for spinning and baitcasting and a coated wire seems to work better. I'm not forever changing them and throwing traces away for fear they are losing their strength, unless it's titanium of course.