Best lures and spinners for perch and pike

Reaction score
If you only took a half dozen lures or spinners to go after jack pike and perch, what would you take?

Pictures or links appreciated, I haven't got a clue what I'm looking at....

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
The first thing I would take if pike are a possibility is a trace to stop getting bitten off.

This is not dismissive but have a look on Youtube for soft rubber minnow type lures for perch/ how to fish them. There are loads of videos on there.
You use them with something called a jig head. A weighted hook in essence.

If the water is not deep I feel a lure that floats and then dives on the retrieve is good for pike. Works for me and I am an incompetent lure fisher.

I was recommended to go to a site called AGM tackle by a member on here. Lots of examples of lures. Dont get carried away.
They can be addictive to buy.:eek:mg:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I only had one lure it would have to be a Mepps spinner.

rich66

Reaction score
Perversely I’ve had my largest Perch on the smallest of lures a small Berkeley firetiger plastic lure. I like the fire tiger pattern seems to work well for me. I also have a pack of konger 7cm I think this is the pack in the pic. I’ve had nearly all my pike on the orange/yellow jobs and a lot of perch on the gold speckle ones.
74d0fd93ab807aea06a9cf1f80a2eb5c.jpg

Obviously I’ve got quite a few others but seem to end up with the same few I like. Not sure about the fish !

steve2

Reaction score
If I was to restrict myself it would be a selection of Ondex spinners with red wool. Caught caught pike, perch, chub, roach and rudd on these.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
There are lures for pike, lures for perch. Then, there are soft lures, hard lures, flies. Then, softs for texas rigs, softs for carolina rigs, softs for palette rigs, etc etc etc Or hards for wobbling spoon deadbait, cast-retrieve spoon, stop-and-go etc etc etc

A few very good lures for pike........

Zalts - original and derived. Zam-Z works fantastic. Original 14 or 19 as well. A few pictures here.

Buster jerks - original 15 and derived as well.

X-rap 12 and 14, in glass white or glass yellow.

Simple or Double Lusox spinners - always work.

Jointed X-Rap

A few very good lures for perch.......

Double tail from Yum (for palette rig).

6 or 12 cm X-rap

Syclops 2 and 3

Lusox 2 and 3

Now, if you wanna try a technique that covers pike, zander, perch, catfish, all at the same time, anywhere, you may want to consider wobbling deadbait. More effective, cheaper, limited gear. Only need your rigs and some fresh bait such as sprat.

You may want to ask pike and perch residing in Oxford to verify :)

Keith M

Reaction score
The lures that I have caught most Perch on over the years have been very small Mepps type spinners (see below).

I’ve also caught quite a few Perch on small dropshot lures both 3.5cm ones and 7cm ones (see below)

I have also caught a few Perch in the past on tiny plugs like the ones below although when I use them I remove their treble hooks and use a single hook affixed to their rear end. I often attatch a shot to the front hook mount to get the plug to swim properly without the front hook, but this isn’t always needed.
NB: I still need to do this with the ones below before I get around to using them for Perch.

Keith

Last edited:
Reaction score
The lures that I have caught most Perch on over the years have been very small Mepps type spinners (see below).

I’ve also caught quite a few Perch on small dropshot lures both 3.5cm ones and 7cm ones (see below)

I have also caught a few Perch in the past on tiny plugs like the ones below although when I use them I remove their treble hooks and use a single hook affixed to their rear end. I often attatch a shot to the front hook mount to get the plug to swim properly without the front hook, but this isn’t always needed.
NB: I still need to do this with the ones below before I get around to using them for Perch.

Keith
Brilliant! Thanks very much for your reply. Now I know what to get on my next trip to ye old tackle shop!!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk