When to call it a day on a canal?

Gaston664

Reaction score
I'm usually carp fishing at commercial fisheries but I've just started giving the predators a go on my local canal (Exeter).

I've been getting small perch by drop shotting, and whilst they haven't been big it's been really good fun.

My question is, can I keep drop shotting after dark arrives? The bites seem to dry up when it gets darker.

If I was to switch to a lure with a trace could I start targeting pike after dark?

What are the best tactics for darkness? Or should I just go home when it gets dark?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve always found that when I’m targeting Pike during the darker hours then fishing a static dead or live bait on the bottom works best for me, as Pike often strike by sight (as well as vibration) during the daylight hours so a moving lure being presented off bottom is a lot less likely to be followed and struck at in the dark, and smell is more likely to be used by the Pike at night rather than sight.

I may be wrong but logic tells me that this is going to be a much more productive method during the dark hours than using a moving lure.

Although fishing a semi-static rubber lure in dropshot mode might also still work.

Keith

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
When to call it a day on the canal?

...when the boats start mooring up in your peg! :eek:mg:
(sorry couldn't resist) :fish2:

I agree with what Keith says regards using lures in low light, you would be better changing to dead or live baits.

The possible exception would be when using lures that make a noise with rattles inside them, but you would need to keep them moving constantly with a slow and erratic retrieve. Maybe a wobble stik fitted to your rod would aid doing just that.

Gaston664

Reaction score
I’ve always found that when I’m targeting Pike during the darker hours then fishing a static dead or live bait on the bottom works best for me, as Pike often strike by sight (as well as vibration) during the daylight hours so a moving lure being presented off bottom is a lot less likely to be followed and struck at in the dark, and smell is more likely to be used by the Pike at night rather than sight.

I may be wrong but logic tells me that this is going to be a much more productive method during the dark hours than using a moving lure.

Although fishing a semi-static rubber lure in dropshot mode might also still work.

Keith
Thanks Keith,

I will certainly look into doing some deadbaiting.

May give early morning a go soon also since I've only tried evenings so far.

Gaston664

Reaction score
When to call it a day on the canal?

...when the boats start mooring up in your peg! :eek:mg:
(sorry couldn't resist) :fish2:

I agree with what Keith says regards using lures in low light, you would be better changing to dead or live baits.

The possible exception would be when using lures that make a noise with rattles inside them, but you would need to keep them moving constantly with a slow and erratic retrieve. Maybe a wobble stik fitted to your rod would aid doing just that.
The wobble stick looks like a good idea, I'll order one!

I do have one lure that rattles so ill try that in conjunction with the wobble stick when it arrives!

Thanks for the advice

nottskev

Reaction score
I called it a day on canals when the mountain bikers, the joggers and the dog walkers couldn't agree whose turn it was to blunder into my carefully placed gear.

Gaston664

Reaction score
I called it a day on canals when the mountain bikers, the joggers and the dog walkers couldn't agree whose turn it was to blunder into my carefully placed gear.
I've certainly had to pick my days/times carefully!

Exeter canal is crazy busy at times with alsorts of people. Noisy ones at that!

David Gane

Reaction score
Light conditions and lure fishing are an interesting topic.

Most people I think would agree that really bright conditions are not the most conducive to lure fishing, but that's not to say you won't catch at all. In my experience, dark coloured lures are best in bright light, as well as gold or coppper coloured ones.

In winter where light is less direct I like to use brightly coloured lures. Firetiger green works well for me.

In dusky light pale, light coloured lures seem to attract the best attention, and I find that the addition of a fluoresecent red bead or bait flag above the rear hook also seems to give the pike something to home in on.

I've never tried lure fishing in the dark, but I doubt that it would work very well at all. When visibility is poor and water is coloured it is always very hard to get any response and for that reason I've never even bothered to try.

Of course, there are no hard and fast rules. What works well on one day won't work at all on another, so experimentation is always important, but I do think that you can short-cut the experimentation by taking a good hard look at the conditions before you start.

Gaston664

Reaction score
Light conditions and lure fishing are an interesting topic.

Most people I think would agree that really bright conditions are not the most conducive to lure fishing, but that's not to say you won't catch at all. In my experience, dark coloured lures are best in bright light, as well as gold or coppper coloured ones.

In winter where light is less direct I like to use brightly coloured lures. Firetiger green works well for me.

In dusky light pale, light coloured lures seem to attract the best attention, and I find that the addition of a fluoresecent red bead or bait flag above the rear hook also seems to give the pike something to home in on.

I've never tried lure fishing in the dark, but I doubt that it would work very well at all. When visibility is poor and water is coloured it is always very hard to get any response and for that reason I've never even bothered to try.

Of course, there are no hard and fast rules. What works well on one day won't work at all on another, so experimentation is always important, but I do think that you can short-cut the experimentation by taking a good hard look at the conditions before you start.
Thanks for the thoughts, I've got a few lures that my Dad has given me over the years but I've only recently started fishing on canals.

I will have to try lots of different ones to see what works best!