Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default When to call it a day on a canal?

    I'm usually carp fishing at commercial fisheries but I've just started giving the predators a go on my local canal (Exeter).

    I've been getting small perch by drop shotting, and whilst they haven't been big it's been really good fun.

    My question is, can I keep drop shotting after dark arrives? The bites seem to dry up when it gets darker.

    If I was to switch to a lure with a trace could I start targeting pike after dark?

    What are the best tactics for darkness? Or should I just go home when it gets dark?

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    3,429
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: When to call it a day on a canal?

    I’ve always found that when I’m targeting Pike during the darker hours then fishing a static dead or live bait on the bottom works best for me, as Pike often strike by sight (as well as vibration) during the daylight hours so a moving lure being presented off bottom is a lot less likely to be followed and struck at in the dark, and smell is more likely to be used by the Pike at night rather than sight.

    I may be wrong but logic tells me that this is going to be a much more productive method during the dark hours than using a moving lure.

    Although fishing a semi-static rubber lure in dropshot mode might also still work.

    Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 11-09-2019 at 23:02.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bradford, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,191

    Default Re: When to call it a day on a canal?

    When to call it a day on the canal?

    ...when the boats start mooring up in your peg!
    (sorry couldn't resist)

    I agree with what Keith says regards using lures in low light, you would be better changing to dead or live baits.

    The possible exception would be when using lures that make a noise with rattles inside them, but you would need to keep them moving constantly with a slow and erratic retrieve. Maybe a wobble stik fitted to your rod would aid doing just that.

  4. #4

    Default Re: When to call it a day on a canal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
    I’ve always found that when I’m targeting Pike during the darker hours then fishing a static dead or live bait on the bottom works best for me, as Pike often strike by sight (as well as vibration) during the daylight hours so a moving lure being presented off bottom is a lot less likely to be followed and struck at in the dark, and smell is more likely to be used by the Pike at night rather than sight.

    I may be wrong but logic tells me that this is going to be a much more productive method during the dark hours than using a moving lure.

    Although fishing a semi-static rubber lure in dropshot mode might also still work.

    Keith
    Thanks Keith,

    I will certainly look into doing some deadbaiting.

    May give early morning a go soon also since I've only tried evenings so far.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  5. #5

    Default Re: When to call it a day on a canal?

    Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    When to call it a day on the canal?

    ...when the boats start mooring up in your peg!
    (sorry couldn't resist)

    I agree with what Keith says regards using lures in low light, you would be better changing to dead or live baits.

    The possible exception would be when using lures that make a noise with rattles inside them, but you would need to keep them moving constantly with a slow and erratic retrieve. Maybe a wobble stik fitted to your rod would aid doing just that.
    The wobble stick looks like a good idea, I'll order one!

    I do have one lure that rattles so ill try that in conjunction with the wobble stick when it arrives!

    Thanks for the advice

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Default Re: When to call it a day on a canal?

    I called it a day on canals when the mountain bikers, the joggers and the dog walkers couldn't agree whose turn it was to blunder into my carefully placed gear.

  7. #7

    Default Re: When to call it a day on a canal?

    Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I called it a day on canals when the mountain bikers, the joggers and the dog walkers couldn't agree whose turn it was to blunder into my carefully placed gear.
    I've certainly had to pick my days/times carefully!

    Exeter canal is crazy busy at times with alsorts of people. Noisy ones at that!

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: When to call it a day on a canal?

    Light conditions and lure fishing are an interesting topic.

    Most people I think would agree that really bright conditions are not the most conducive to lure fishing, but that's not to say you won't catch at all. In my experience, dark coloured lures are best in bright light, as well as gold or coppper coloured ones.

    In winter where light is less direct I like to use brightly coloured lures. Firetiger green works well for me.

    In dusky light pale, light coloured lures seem to attract the best attention, and I find that the addition of a fluoresecent red bead or bait flag above the rear hook also seems to give the pike something to home in on.

    I've never tried lure fishing in the dark, but I doubt that it would work very well at all. When visibility is poor and water is coloured it is always very hard to get any response and for that reason I've never even bothered to try.

    Of course, there are no hard and fast rules. What works well on one day won't work at all on another, so experimentation is always important, but I do think that you can short-cut the experimentation by taking a good hard look at the conditions before you start.

  9. #9

    Default Re: When to call it a day on a canal?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Gane View Post
    Light conditions and lure fishing are an interesting topic.

    Most people I think would agree that really bright conditions are not the most conducive to lure fishing, but that's not to say you won't catch at all. In my experience, dark coloured lures are best in bright light, as well as gold or coppper coloured ones.

    In winter where light is less direct I like to use brightly coloured lures. Firetiger green works well for me.

    In dusky light pale, light coloured lures seem to attract the best attention, and I find that the addition of a fluoresecent red bead or bait flag above the rear hook also seems to give the pike something to home in on.

    I've never tried lure fishing in the dark, but I doubt that it would work very well at all. When visibility is poor and water is coloured it is always very hard to get any response and for that reason I've never even bothered to try.

    Of course, there are no hard and fast rules. What works well on one day won't work at all on another, so experimentation is always important, but I do think that you can short-cut the experimentation by taking a good hard look at the conditions before you start.
    Thanks for the thoughts, I've got a few lures that my Dad has given me over the years but I've only recently started fishing on canals.

    I will have to try lots of different ones to see what works best!

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •