Dropshot

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Should be ok, just make sure you use braid.

Mrnab

Reaction score
Will do was looking at getting some j braid. One more question, what sort of hook size is best for targeting perch?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don’t gauge hook sizes by numbers, every brand is different, I do it just by sight, not very helpful for you!

As for perch, they will take a much bigger hook than you might think. Do you plan on using a dedicated dropshot hook or just a standard hook which will be more cost effective?

chrissh

Reaction score

David Gane

Reaction score
I reckon the rod will be fine.

I do a lot of dropshotting and it's a lot of fun. A couple of bits of advice though, if you're interested.

Unless you intend fishing somewhere where there are definitely no pike you are going to catch them. Purists don't recommend using wire traces for dropshotting but because of the pike I do. If you don't use a trace you will get bitten off pretty frequently.

So, I use 10lb (yellow) braid as a mainline. I then use an 15 inch up-trace made with 12 lb wire (this being the lightest I can find) down to a size 4 Mustad no-twist ultrapoint hook. These hooks are mounted on a swivel. I crimp the trace to the top eye of the swivel and I tie a length of fluorocarbon to the lower eye on which I can attach a movable weight. When a small 7cm dropshotting lure is mounted on the hook this arrangement has the benefit of holding the lure horizontally when it is being fished.

This arrangement is pretty reliable. I've had lots of good sized perch but also quite a few pike to about 7 lbs.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Dropshotting can be carried out using what ever rod you have. Some will say it cant be carried out without using proper dropshot rods but it can. It strikes me as just another marketing ploy.
If you look at the pictures of the dropshot rigs on ebay they are simple to make and cheaper.

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
Its a good enough rod to start with, but you will feel more fish with a dedicated drop shot rod as most drop shot rods have a faster action which makes them more sensitive to delicate takes.
You don't have to spend a fortune, Angling direct have their own range Advanta PS Drop Shot Rod | Angling Direct this would be better and less than £30.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have several different spinning and lure rods from 5g up to 50g which can all be used for dropshotting; but I also have a dedicated dropshot rod and there is a clear difference to the way I can feel really tentative bites (which are often experienced with perch on canals) and the way I can work my baits (semi stationary/without constantly retrieving) with my dropshot rod, which has a slightly different action to a standard spinning rod.

So yes you can use a normal spinning rod for dropshotting and it will still work, but it wouldn’t be quite as good as a dedicated dropshot rod, and because dropshot rods are fairly cheap anyway, why just make do? That’s how I see it anyway.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
When I first started drop shotting many years ago before it became popular over here I used an old quiver tip rod and caught fish.......

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
Let us know how you get on with it, most drop shot rods will be an improvement on a quiver or softer lure rod.