Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropshot

Default Dropshot

Hi, i bought this rod quite a while back and haven't really used it yet. As i've been targetting rivers lately for barbel and chub. I know it's only a cheap one so not expecting great things but would it be ok for dropshotting?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the rod. 7ft 3 - 15g

Default Re: Dropshot

Should be ok, just make sure you use braid.

Will do was looking at getting some j braid. One more question, what sort of hook size is best for targeting perch?

I don’t gauge hook sizes by numbers, every brand is different, I do it just by sight, not very helpful for you!

As for perch, they will take a much bigger hook than you might think. Do you plan on using a dedicated dropshot hook or just a standard hook which will be more cost effective?

The hook size will depends on the size of the lure you want to use I use hooks from size 2 -6 with lure from 1.1/2” up to 3” in size

Yellow braid is a good way of seeing where you have cast and working the lure along the edge

http://

Trust me I’m an Engineer

I reckon the rod will be fine.

I do a lot of dropshotting and it's a lot of fun. A couple of bits of advice though, if you're interested.

Unless you intend fishing somewhere where there are definitely no pike you are going to catch them. Purists don't recommend using wire traces for dropshotting but because of the pike I do. If you don't use a trace you will get bitten off pretty frequently.

So, I use 10lb (yellow) braid as a mainline. I then use an 15 inch up-trace made with 12 lb wire (this being the lightest I can find) down to a size 4 Mustad no-twist ultrapoint hook. These hooks are mounted on a swivel. I crimp the trace to the top eye of the swivel and I tie a length of fluorocarbon to the lower eye on which I can attach a movable weight. When a small 7cm dropshotting lure is mounted on the hook this arrangement has the benefit of holding the lure horizontally when it is being fished.

This arrangement is pretty reliable. I've had lots of good sized perch but also quite a few pike to about 7 lbs.
    Last edited by David Gane; 18-09-2019 at 12:14.

Just to add to the above, you can get wire in titanium with a 6lb rating, very thin stuff.

Knot2Kinky Nickel-Titanium Wire 6lb (2.7Kg) x 15ft (4.6m)

Some good info, following the above advice i found these on ebay: 5 Pre tied WIRE drop shot rigs - Perch, Zander, Pike, Chub fishing | eBay worth a go?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnab View Post
    Some good info, following the above advice i found these on ebay: 5 Pre tied WIRE drop shot rigs - Perch, Zander, Pike, Chub fishing | eBay worth a go?
    You’ll have to try one and let us know.

Dropshotting can be carried out using what ever rod you have. Some will say it cant be carried out without using proper dropshot rods but it can. It strikes me as just another marketing ploy.
    If you look at the pictures of the dropshot rigs on ebay they are simple to make and cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast