Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Single circle hooks for pike.

Hi there. Just wondering if many of you have had success using single circle hooks? I was going to give them a go last year but never got round to it. From what I've read when using circle hooks the hook hold tend to be in the scissors and deep hooking is very rare. Also I've read barbless circle hooks work well as the hook pattern keeps the hooks in so unhooking is easier. Im not sure what size hooks to use so please could you advise. I only fish for pike in the winter and where i fish they go up to 20lb max but doubles are quite common.

Default Re: Single circle hooks for pike.

As a complete novice to pike fishing my biggest concern was deep hooking. I started using circle hooks after watching this video.

I haven’t caught many but those I have were all hooked in the scissors.

Thanks for the reply. When you use circle hooks do you not strike? Are you supposed to just tighten up to the fish or let the fish tighten the line for you? Again this is just what ive read and never tried it myself.

Tighten up

Blog Entries

I haven’t used Circle hooks on deadbaits ‘yet’ but I often use double hooks on my deadbaits with the smaller point hooked into the deadbait and the larger point standing proud so that it stands a chance of catching inside the mouth when it’s picked up.

I’m going to try using circle hooks now as they do sound and look really good.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 25-09-2019 at 15:30.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

My guess is that you might lose the odd fish which you may not have done with a treble, the positives far outweigh that downside.

Blog Entries

You could be right about losing the odd fish s63 but I stopped using treble hooks a long time ago ever since I saw a picture of an emancipated Pike with its throat sewn up by someone’s trebles.

Plus Ive had enough of me struggling to release trebles from my landing net in the past and making holes in it.
    There was more whipping thread (which I used to sew the holes up with) than netting after a few years

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 25-09-2019 at 16:21.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I've not used circles but have used large singles since the 70's without any problems. I believe that, as with any setup, the ones you lose are generally small jacks that haven't got a proper hold...
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Barbelboi what size singles do you use and do you hook the deadbait through the wrist of the tail?

Quote Originally Posted by mickb View Post
    Barbelboi what size singles do you use and do you hook the deadbait through the wrist of the tail?

Usually one hooked through the tail or head depending on how it’s being fished. Bury Hill have had a singles only rule for some years and you can get some info from their site HERE
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast