Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by naxian62 View Post
    tommos16
    the rod I'm using atm is 3-14g ( I've broken a few ! ) and I feel bites quite good I believe. I find laying my index finger on the blank just along from the reel seat transmits everything thats going on under the water. And once again lobs always brings bites, which could , feel like little knocks,plucks , trembles or just an exaggerated pull.
    Keep at it. Sooo rewarding when you hook into something decent.
    Ah excellent. It's convinced me that I'm just using too heavy gear I reckon. I'll invest a bit I think, because I'd love to be picking them off in winter! Cheers again

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Don't get too disheartened. I do a lot of dropshotting and some days it works and some days it doesn't. Generally I get a "feeling" after thirty minutes or so if I'm going to have a slow day. To be honest, if it feels like that I more often than not give up and go back another time.

If you do get a take there is no mistaking it. Generally it's a pretty hard thump and then either you have a fish on or you don't. Immediately tighten-up, but hard striking is rarely necessary.

One thing that is worth trying is changing lures if you're getting nowhere. Colour changes can sometimes have miraculous results. In low light or murky water I like light coloured lures. In winter I often find that brightly coloured ones work well. Firetiger green does well for me.

I've never tried the worm trick - but it sounds like a good idea and I certainly will now I've heard of it!

Quote Originally Posted by David Gane View Post
    Don't get too disheartened. I do a lot of dropshotting and some days it works and some days it doesn't. Generally I get a "feeling" after thirty minutes or so if I'm going to have a slow day. To be honest, if it feels like that I more often than not give up and go back another time.

If you do get a take there is no mistaking it. Generally it's a pretty hard thump and then either you have a fish on or you don't. Immediately tighten-up, but striking is rarely necessary.

One thing that is worth trying is changing lures if you're getting nowhere. Colour changes can sometimes have miraculous results. In low light or murky water I like light coloured lures. In winter I often find that brightly coloured ones work well. Firetiger green does well for me.

I've never tried the worm trick - but it sounds like a good idea and I certainly will now I've heard of it!
    Yeah that was my thinking, I imagine you'd know because perch are as aggressive as anything out there.

Very curious about the worm myself, I know what I'm doing Saturday! I'll let you all know how I get on. Thanks for the replies so far all, it's given me hope once again. Which we all need for fishing!

PS just a tail of a lobworm can be devastating and will give more fishing per pot of worms!

Blog Entries

I got back into fishing after watching countless YouTube videos of drop shotting, the minimal tackle and roving approach really appealed to me.
    I fished a small local pond and the Leeds Liverpool Canal last winter and have never caught a single fish on a lure!
    I decided to try some worms dug out of my garden one freezing cold day on Newsham Park Lake in Liverpool and picked up this little fella.
    Drop shotting - am I missing something?-photopictureresizer_191017_221344616_crop_1120x1334.jpg
    You are not alone in the struggle to get perch on soft lures, I will start a new campaign as the weather gets colder. Hope you keep us posted and we can pass on any tips......feel sure I'm going to pull a few big stripeys out this winter!

Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    I got back into fishing after watching countless YouTube videos of drop shotting, the minimal tackle and roving approach really appealed to me.
    I fished a small local pond and the Leeds Liverpool Canal last winter and have never caught a single fish on a lure!
    I decided to try some worms dug out of my garden one freezing cold day on Newsham Park Lake in Liverpool and picked up this little fella.
    Drop shotting - am I missing something?-photopictureresizer_191017_221344616_crop_1120x1334.jpg
    You are not alone in the struggle to get perch on soft lures, I will start a new campaign as the weather gets colder. Hope you keep us posted and we can pass on any tips......feel sure I'm going to pull a few big stripeys out this winter!
    D.owens - very nice mate, well played!

Deop shotting was a big appeal for me, living right on the canal, and I do think it'll come good for me. I'm not exactly the most patient of fellas which is ridiculous considering I've come quite obsessed with fishing. I suppose it'll teach me that all good things come to those who wait...

Newsham Park brings back some memories, I was raised not far from there. I'll defo feedback as the winter rolls in, hopefully in a few weeks I'll be wondering what my issues was ha

Blog Entries

Good luck mate! As others have said, take a few juicy lob worms just to maybe get that first fish and experience of how bites feel.

Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    Good luck mate! As others have said, take a few juicy lob worms just to maybe get that first fish and experience of how bites feel.
    I'll be doing exactly that bud, that's Saturday mapped out for me nicely I reckon!

Hello again all. It would appear the only thing I was missing was patience, found a nice spot near Wigan on the Leeds Liverpool (Britannia Bridge, I don't mind sharing but let's not destroy it) and I found a shoal. This being the best, not a monster but a lovely fish nevertheless

Interesting and very simple knot I hadn't seen before (for those daring to go without a trace)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast