Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

Well done tommos16, you've given me faith now to go wiggle some bits of rubber about in the Liverpool end of the canal!
    Looks like you had a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    Well done tommos16, you've given me faith now to go wiggle some bits of rubber about in the Liverpool end of the canal!
    It was the day I've seen many a time on YouTube but had so far eluded me. I googled mapped a lot, saw a lock that was entirely under a bridge and was convinced it was perch central. Eventually walked that mile and it paid off, which was beyond my wildest dreams. I had a follow off a very slow drop shot retrieve, then decided to spin the rig like it was a lure, and then I was in. After that I just dropped the lure in the kill zone and it was non stop bites.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    I've got a swim that i'm confident has resident perch and i'm keen to give the old dropshotting another go. I have all the right gear apart from the special hooks but if that youtube is anything to go by you can use any hook within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
    I've got a swim that i'm confident has resident perch and i'm keen to give the old dropshotting another go. I have all the right gear apart from the special hooks but if that youtube is anything to go by you can use any hook within reason.
    I'm a rank amateur but today I got lucky and I couldn't even tell you the size of the hook I had on except it was a hell of a lot bigger than anything I'd ever try and get any Silver fish on. Perch apparently can swallow most hooks (again, youtube is my only informant on that) so I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Hopefully you pull plenty out and have a great time, days like yesterday are what I dreamed of

Perch of all sizes are absolute sods for swallowing the hook, dropshotting would seem to be a way of avoiding this almost completely.

Couple of years ago one of the kids had a handsome trout dropshotting a live worm, and on another occasion i messed up a take from another trout How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
    Perch of all sizes are absolute sods for swallowing the hook, dropshotting would seem to be a way of avoiding this almost completely.

Couple of years ago one of the kids had a handsome trout dropshotting a live worm, and on another occasion i messed up a take from another trout How did you get on?
    Finally had a read about your day with the trout, what a day mate!

I know the dropshot a bit but you may also take a few alternative rigs with you. When I fish for zander, it's quite often that I hardly feel a bite, some would probably conclude that there's no fish at all on the area. With perch it might be a bit easier though but still...
    The rigs I'm most frequently using for both perch and zander are:
    1) Cochard weight. It's a plan-triangular weight, sitting close to a texas hook that hosts a soft lure. Good lures could be very small shads, a classical phospho curly tail, a yellow double tail etc. The good thing with this rig is that the lure is free running and always works.
    2) a wobbling deadbait rig - I make them myself, inspired from the Drachko rig.
    I use a Shogun PMM rod which is stiff and veeery sensitive. I think I'll feel a roach farting at a 1 feet range. And that being said, while perch tend to bite ok, zander are far more discreet.
    If you fancy on, then you could try with a sprat. Cheap, easy to find, very effective on perch, pike, zander.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123