Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    133
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

    Well done tommos16, you've given me faith now to go wiggle some bits of rubber about in the Liverpool end of the canal!
    Looks like you had a good day.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Wigan area
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    Well done tommos16, you've given me faith now to go wiggle some bits of rubber about in the Liverpool end of the canal!
    Looks like you had a good day.
    It was the day I've seen many a time on YouTube but had so far eluded me. I googled mapped a lot, saw a lock that was entirely under a bridge and was convinced it was perch central. Eventually walked that mile and it paid off, which was beyond my wildest dreams. I had a follow off a very slow drop shot retrieve, then decided to spin the rig like it was a lure, and then I was in. After that I just dropped the lure in the kill zone and it was non stop bites.

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,060

    Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    Well done tommos16, you've given me faith now to go wiggle some bits of rubber about in the Liverpool end of the canal!
    Looks like you had a good day.
    I've got a swim that i'm confident has resident perch and i'm keen to give the old dropshotting another go. I have all the right gear apart from the special hooks but if that youtube is anything to go by you can use any hook within reason.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Wigan area
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
    I've got a swim that i'm confident has resident perch and i'm keen to give the old dropshotting another go. I have all the right gear apart from the special hooks but if that youtube is anything to go by you can use any hook within reason.
    I'm a rank amateur but today I got lucky and I couldn't even tell you the size of the hook I had on except it was a hell of a lot bigger than anything I'd ever try and get any Silver fish on. Perch apparently can swallow most hooks (again, youtube is my only informant on that) so I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Hopefully you pull plenty out and have a great time, days like yesterday are what I dreamed of

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,060

    Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

    Perch of all sizes are absolute sods for swallowing the hook, dropshotting would seem to be a way of avoiding this almost completely.

    Couple of years ago one of the kids had a handsome trout dropshotting a live worm, and on another occasion i messed up a take from another trout How did you get on?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Wigan area
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
    Perch of all sizes are absolute sods for swallowing the hook, dropshotting would seem to be a way of avoiding this almost completely.

    Couple of years ago one of the kids had a handsome trout dropshotting a live worm, and on another occasion i messed up a take from another trout How did you get on?
    Finally had a read about your day with the trout, what a day mate!

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

    I know the dropshot a bit but you may also take a few alternative rigs with you. When I fish for zander, it's quite often that I hardly feel a bite, some would probably conclude that there's no fish at all on the area. With perch it might be a bit easier though but still...
    The rigs I'm most frequently using for both perch and zander are:
    1) Cochard weight. It's a plan-triangular weight, sitting close to a texas hook that hosts a soft lure. Good lures could be very small shads, a classical phospho curly tail, a yellow double tail etc. The good thing with this rig is that the lure is free running and always works.
    2) a wobbling deadbait rig - I make them myself, inspired from the Drachko rig.
    I use a Shogun PMM rod which is stiff and veeery sensitive. I think I'll feel a roach farting at a 1 feet range. And that being said, while perch tend to bite ok, zander are far more discreet.
    If you fancy on, then you could try with a sprat. Cheap, easy to find, very effective on perch, pike, zander.

  8. Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

    I do enjoy the drop shot, but where I am there are no canals for over an hours drive. So as a method for my local Waters is quite limited. What I have switched to is light spinning, jigging and lure Work.
    If you haven’t yet, get hold of a light wire trace and some cheap jig heads. You can bump these about and cover far ore water at a faster rate, once you find the Perch you can switch to the dropshot if appropriate. If you haven’t yet, have a look at the AGM Fishing shop, that will give you some taster things to throw about without melting your wallet.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Wigan area
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by dorsetsteve View Post
    I do enjoy the drop shot, but where I am there are no canals for over an hours drive. So as a method for my local Waters is quite limited. What I have switched to is light spinning, jigging and lure Work.
    If you haven’t yet, get hold of a light wire trace and some cheap jig heads. You can bump these about and cover far ore water at a faster rate, once you find the Perch you can switch to the dropshot if appropriate. If you haven’t yet, have a look at the AGM Fishing shop, that will give you some taster things to throw about without melting your wallet.
    Steve, thanks mate! I'm nearing the end of a one month ship building project and I haven't so much as seen a rod, when I get back I'm going to be fishing with a vengeance

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

  10. Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

    I must admit, I was excited about drop shotting but it's taken the shine off it a bit today. My main issue is how to tell a bite, I just don't have a clue.
    Drop shot rigs are fine for slowly working areas near the bottom, but not efficient working different depths and more water in more directions from where you're casting. For that I would highly recommend a light unpainted ball head jig and soft plastic lure with a tapered tail - not a curl tail. Jig weight and hook size are very important for best lure action and rate of retrieve. 1/8 oz in my opinion is too large for small finesse lures whereas 1/32 and 1/16 oz do fine in line with what a drop shot rig is intended for.

    Lure suggestions:
    soft plastic tail design suggestions

    Tackle suggestions:
    light action rod 6' or medium action rod with flexible 1/3 - also 6'
    braid - Kastking - abrasion resistant 8 # test (Ebay) (It's 2 # diameter test allows the best action and good strike detection)

    strike detection and hookset:
    Keep rod angle near 45 degrees while working the lure.

    When nothing is felt with the pull of the line, reel in any slack and raise the rod tip higher until resistance is felt. Most strikes involve fish coming towards you with lure in mouth. Once the fish starts to panic, a few sharp upward jerks of the rod tip sets the hook deeper. When it comes to float strikes, wait until the float stays 6" or more under the surface and then set the hook the same way.

    Over-the-shoulder hook set slams are unnecessary and unwanted for smaller hooks as long as the hook is SHARP. Carry a file always and check hook sharpness !!!!! A few rubs on three sides towards the point can make all the difference.
    Last edited by spoonminnow; 20-01-2020 at 12:30.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •