Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  34
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

For thoose that work the drop shot a lot to find it an all year tatic? I tend to fish minnows a lot in summer but there some days when i just want to pop put for hour or so don't have time to catch them or is it better to swap to a jig in warmer months?

Quote Originally Posted by Tree123 View Post
    For thoose that work the drop shot a lot to find it an all year tatic? I tend to fish minnows a lot in summer but there some days when i just want to pop put for hour or so don't have time to catch them or is it better to swap to a jig in warmer months?
    Dropshotting is just another form of fishing with an artificial lure, so the answer to your question is the same as for spinning etc: it is perfectly possible to catch fish at any time of year, although in my experience it tends to work better in the summer months. Just the same, I've had some outstanding perch during winter.. However at all times of the year it works much better on some days than it does others for reasons that are not always really clear. Atmospheric pressure certainly has an influence though.

There are other factors that definitely affect success that are more obvious. Of these, water clarity is the most obvious. Lure fishing generally relies on predators seeing the lure and if they can see it from a good distance you are much more likely to have success than if the water is murky. This contrasts with other kinds of fishing where colour in the water is a good thing. There are also practical considerations. If fishing in moving water the strength of the current has an influence; you don't want the current to be too strong as it will move your weight around too much on the bottom. Of course you can look for areas where the water is a little slacker, although personally I tend to give dropshotting a miss if the current is strong.
    Last edited by David Gane; 26-03-2020 at 13:26.

Hi mate. I've found similar to the other post, it worked well up to October then went quiet for me. That's when I switched to dropshotting worms just off the bottom and basically fishing it static, and it was productive for perch. I suppose in theory roach would take half a worm fishing in a similar way but with perch, you can move the bait, for anything else I'd assume it'd have to be dead still.

I fish float, ledger, spinning, desdbaits, all sorts, and by far and away dropshotting has got me the most fish. But with worms, not atricifial lures.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks im normally a big fan of minnows and live baits for perch but want to tet drop shotting as means i dont have to get maggots from shop. Will try some drop shot worms too.

Thanks im normally a big fan of minnows and live baits for perch but want to tet drop shotting as means i dont have to get maggots from shop. Will try some drop shot worms too.
    Have you tried drop shotting in and around Ramsgate Harbour?

No didnt know you were still allowed to fish in ramsagte habour. Fished it for mullet once years ago

No didnt know you were still allowed to fish in ramsagte habour. Fished it for mullet once years ago
    They have recently put in restrictions but I’m sure there will be a few spots close to the harbour that could prove ideal for a bit of drop shotting.

Its worth a go.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234