Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Drop shotting - am I missing something?

Spent a good four hours on the cut today (Leeds Liverpool, Wigan area). Drop shotted 8 locks, every single little hidey hole, under bridges, near drains, every single place you'd expect a Perch. Not one single tickle (I think).

Am I missing something? Ie bites? As I've never had a bite, what would a bite feel like? Am I just unlucky and not come across the right spots?

I must admit, I was excited about drop shotting but it's taken the shine off it a bit today. My main issue is how to tell a bite, I just don't have a clue.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Drop shotting - am I missing something?

Try having a go with a worm hooked on , it will give you confidence , perch just can't resist worms.

Quote Originally Posted by ian g View Post
    Try having a go with a worm hooked on , it will give you confidence , perch just can't resist worms.
    Yeah thats not the first time I've heard that, meaning it must be true! I still worry about the bites, I'm on slightly heavier gear than needed 15-30 rod) but I'm sure it'll still be OK. But I just have no idea what a bite would feel like

if you keep the line in the crook of your finger you'll feel the bites , though to be fair you'ii feel the bites through your rod . The bites will usually be pretty sharp.

Are you using braid?

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Are you using braid?
    8lb mono, which I feel is an error. Probably time for some braid?

Ian G, thanks for the tip! Must be no bites then, what I feared...

Drop shotting is all about the feel, from the initial bite being transmitted through the line, rod, right through to your rod handle. This is why it’s important to have as sensitive a setup as possible. Some bites are unmistakeable, other very subtle, these can be missed using mono which has shock absorbing qualities, braid doesn’t have that. Whether a 15 to 30g rod is capable of giving you those subtle tugs I’m not sure.

Don’t despair, the method is no different to any other and can result in a run of blanks, I should know! My number one tip has already been mentioned, if you can take some lobworms, it’s amazing how they can produce a result when all the lures in your box fail to attract attention and you’ll know if your missing bites with a half bitten worm coming back.

I think of my drop shotting as just going for a walk along the river, taking a rod if I see a spot that looks promising, had a few fruitless walks recently but yesterday after some considerable rain the local Stour was coloured and the predators were active, a jack and a few wasps followed by a nice chunky perch.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Drop shotting is all about the feel, from the initial bite being transmitted through the line, rod, right through to your rod handle. This is why it’s important to have as sensitive a setup as possible. Some bites are unmistakeable, other very subtle, these can be missed using mono which has shock absorbing qualities, braid doesn’t have that. Whether a 15 to 30g rod is capable of giving you those subtle tugs I’m not sure.

Don’t despair, the method is no different to any other and can result in a run of blanks, I should know! My number one tip has already been mentioned, if you can take some lobworms, it’s amazing how they can produce a result when all the lures in your box fail to attract attention and you’ll know if your missing bites with a half bitten worm coming back.

I think of my drop shotting as just going for a walk along the river, taking a rod if I see a spot that looks promising, had a few fruitless walks recently but yesterday after some considerable rain the local Stour was coloured and the predators were active, a jack and a few wasps followed by a nice chunky perch.

Very nice!! Well played.

I think I might take the plunge and go for something really sensitive, because I do think it's got potential to be really productive and fun - especially as we head into winter.

I'll get some lobworms and have a good walk on the weekend, see if anything wants to take. Thanks once again, it's very much appreciated

If you do decide to get another rod, don’t go too short, an extra bit of length can get you access over vegetation and also allows you stand back from the bank a foot or two so as not to spook any fish that maybe almost under your feet.

tommos16
    the rod I'm using atm is 3-14g ( I've broken a few ! ) and I feel bites quite good I believe. I find laying my index finger on the blank just along from the reel seat transmits everything thats going on under the water. And once again lobs always brings bites, which could , feel like little knocks,plucks , trembles or just an exaggerated pull.
    Keep at it. Sooo rewarding when you hook into something decent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast